spray deodorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awi

Reaction score
I am going to try a spray deodorant I found in a book which contains some zinc oxide. Is there anything I can add to this to keep the zinc oxide incorporated in the mix so that I don't have to shake it each time? Would polysorbate 20 work? If so, how much do I add?

I don't think Peg20 would help - that's typically used to emulsify oils and water. The zinc powder is insoluble so my guess is that you will have to shake every time...someone correct me if they know better

Thanks for the suggestions! I mixed up some and it just looks gross until you shake it up. It contains witch hazel, aloe juice, zinc oxide, vegetable gylcerine and essential oils. Could I add a little tinosin to this for added deodorant benefit and as my preservative? I am just making this up for family and friends, so maybe i could bottle up in amber bottles and they will never know how "gross" it looks!

Or use aluminum bottles! Then they really can't see.

I think they recommend the tinosan to be mixed with potassium sorbate, and then you have to check the pH level of your product to make sure it is within the right range. But it's supposed to be great as an active ingredient for deodorants anyway, like you said, so.. go for it!

Just in case you want another option: I use those ingredients, but make them into a lotion. Then the zinc stays incorporated.

But, I am just in the thinking stage about adding tinosan as an active. My current emulsifier is not compatible, and so I would have to change my formula.

I do use tinosan in my husbands deodorant, which is gel in a roll on bottle. I wonder if a gel would suspend zinc oxide? I think it might, but have not tried it.

So, for what it may be worth, that is my 2 cents worth.

Latest posts

Back