spongy soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottief

Reaction score
Made a beer peppermint soap. Its been curing for 2 weeks and the middle is spongy. I can push on it and it leaves a bit of a dent. I looked up possible causes. Said either to much water or not enough lye. Made many other recipes and there fine. I'll post my recipe.

OO 48%
CO 30%
Red Palm oil 10%
Shea Butter 8%
Castor oil 4%
Water 38%
Lye 14.21 oz

Ran it though soap cal lye calculator.

Thanks

Did you use any clay? My clay soaps are a bit plastic for a while. It sounds like it just needs to cure a while more, it's only half way through (or less).

Did it partially gel? I remember some of my first soaps felt spongy in the middle especially if they had a partial gel ring.

However, I agree with Seawolfe. These soaps are only half way through the cure or less. The middle is where water remains the longest, so just give them more time.

Also, if you're comfortable with the process and your recipe, perhaps try a water discount. Many people use a 33% lye concentration. This should help with the excess water loss.

If it gelled in the middle it is most like overheating. Sometimes it will harden up after several months. I have a rose fo I love that will do the same thing. Takes it 6 months to harden. Fortunately my customer I make the particular fo for does not mind the dent in the middle

We have made many other soaps and this is the only one that does it. It did go through gel. Other soaps we do go thought gel and there hard in the middle when we cut them. I was thinking of using less OO but maybe I'll try less water. Thanks

Latest posts

Back