Spent Grain, Lindy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.michiganbeerblog.net/2011/11/spent-grain-bread.html

I also use this recipe. I do let my sponge rise the entire 24 hrs and I do use bread flour. I use an instant read thermometer to check interior temp of bread. I've never not had it turn out.

Our hops are Northern Brewer, Mount Hood, German Hallertau.

The reason spent grains don't smell/taste like beer if because they haven't been fermented.

Have you used hops in any way in your soap making?

Badger - It's kinda like being a painter, even with pigments you can learn to mix colour to create a colour that you like. Unfortunately, for me at least, just like when I am painting I can't tell you how much of this colour, or that colour I use. Makes it really, really hard to duplicate. :lolno:

Angel Momma thank you so much ;-)

Last edited:
Yeah, I have no idea how much of the pigment I used in making the MP that I did. I didn't even think until now that it would have been smart to keep track of it so I could duplicate it if I wanted to. I am not always the sharpest tool in the shed ;-)

At the risk of turning this into a cookery thread, I have to say that my bread turned out wonderful. :p :p

I've tried at least half a dozen other recipes and I have had by no means such a successful result.

Many thanks for the baking help, next I must order some oils to try some spent grain in my soap :smile:

At the risk of turning this into a cookery thread, I have to say that my bread turned out wonderful. :p :p

I've tried at least half a dozen other recipes and I have had by no means such a successful result.

Many thanks for the baking help, next I must order some oils to try some spent grain in my soap :smile:

I'm glad you found success!! I make this so much I sometimes wish I hadn't found the recipe! Different grains will change the taste of the bread also...so that's fun to play with! Did you make the honey butter? I do 1/2 c butter at room temp and 1/2 cup honey...I use my hand mixer to mix it up really good...I also add 3 tablespoons meyer lemon jelly...then mix that all up! Sometimes I'm not sure if I eat the bread as a carrier for the butter or the other way around!

Getting ready to soap now with spent grain...not ground up this time! Enjoy the bread and happy soaping!

Have you used hops in any way in your soap making?

No. Hubby isn't going to give over his precious hops. I've used rye spent grains and barley spent grains. Barley is a darker bread & would probably make a darker soap. I'm going to get some out & dry them for when I'm back on my feet & ready to soap again.

Finally! some soap made with beer and spent grain. I have to admit to being distracted by the bread making and the fact it's been such a hit with my children.:p

The beer was reduced to about half and then I used it in a 50:50 ratio with water and added to the lye. It seems to have gelled this time. How does it look? Anyone any thoughts on improvement?

2013-03-28 07.32.40.jpg

I have to talk to my local brewer when I take him the soap I made from the beer he gave me......
I can't wait. I love the looks of this soap... all of them that have been posted here.

So many things to try....so little time

There are so many possibilities with beer....

I'm now making coffee with some locally roasted coffee - which also tastes amazing. The coffee not the soap that is ;)

Latest posts

Back