Speaking of Shortages

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melstan775

Reaction score
There's an olive oil shortage in my house and I don't want to go to the store. I also need sunflower oil and tallow for my dad's shaving soap... don't want to go. Could use honey still, and an OMH scent.

I have goats milk, coconut milk, frozen beer, chocolate coconut milk, powder chocolate, 1 oz cocoa butter, almost-colloidal oatmeal (I made it in the food processor), palm, coconut, and a little olive oil. The only scent I have right now is Indonesian Teakwood. It's soooo strong. It smells like oiled teak, I'm not sure how it will soap. I haven't made soap in a week. With what I have, I can probably make a one pound batch of something. But what?

Oh I feel your pain... I'm almost out of coconut oil and palm oil AND I just got my new molds. Two 3 lb molds, a cake mold and 12 silicone cupcake molds... I want to make a big batch... but how with so little oils? Ack!!! lol

Ah! Well oils are easy to replace, but I'm ingredient short of everything to make any kind of soap tonight. I'm melting the palm down now, maybe that will take too long to do anything anyway. It's nice you got your molds and bad you can't use them! :( Are your three pound molds loaves, silicon, or slab?

I am really wanting to make my soap for this months Show and Tell Challenge. I know what I want to do, I just don't have the colors, and trying to decide how I can afford to get them. Hey Mel, I will trade you the teakwood for some Bramble Berry Baby Powder scent, hehehe. I was sent two sample bottles of it and I just don't see me using it.

For colorants, the three pack of red yellow and bluw liquid from Michaels are okay. They hold up okayish in cold process (except the red turns pink if it's not enough!) You can mix any colors you want with the three primary colors. I think they were less then $5.00. Thanks for offering the trade, I might take you up on that.

I have a few baby powders as well Mel, if you're in town, give me a shout I'll give you one.

BTW I got these ones for my 3 lb molds

il_fullxfull.250195473.jpg

Last edited:
Oh thanks Shannon maybe I"ll come make a trade with you this week or next if you don't want the powder ones. I like th emolds, I remember now you telling me you got those ones.

For colorants, the three pack of red yellow and bluw liquid from Michaels are okay. They hold up okayish in cold process (except the red turns pink if it's not enough!) You can mix any colors you want with the three primary colors. I think they were less then $5.00. Thanks for offering the trade, I might take you up on that.

Hmmm, I am not sure how that would work for black and I want a good red. The black and red I am looking at are not very expensive, I am just really broke right now, lol. On the plus side, I am broke enough that my plans this weekend got cancelled, so I can make more soap... which means I will run out of oils sooner... so not fair, lol ;-)

Well it's not a perfect plan. :) Hey, I just had an idea..... how about eyeshadow for colorants? They are just pressed talc and micas. I think it would be okay for an experiment if not okay to give to anyone... I don't know.

Anyway, I think I will make a one pound batch and use just a touch of the teakwood and see how it is. It's two ounces so if I don't want it I will be happy to give it up for trade. I really want to practice a swirl anyway.... off to check on the palm melt....

Have fun and good luck with the teakwood scent!

Well it's not a perfect plan. :) Hey, I just had an idea..... how about eyeshadow for colorants? They are just pressed talc and micas. I think it would be okay for an experiment if not okay to give to anyone... I don't know. .

I was thinking the same thing with the loose type. I was going to get some inexpensive eyeshadow and try it. LOL

Yeah, I am kind of short on eyeshadows... lol. I looked on a few websites for eyeshadow and it was more expensive then buying the mica, so I was bad and ordered the micas >,>

There's an olive oil shortage in my house and I don't want to go to the store. I also need sunflower oil and tallow for my dad's shaving soap... don't want to go. Could use honey still, and an OMH scent.

I have goats milk, coconut milk, frozen beer, chocolate coconut milk, powder chocolate, 1 oz cocoa butter, almost-colloidal oatmeal (I made it in the food processor), palm, coconut, and a little olive oil. The only scent I have right now is Indonesian Teakwood. It's soooo strong. It smells like oiled teak, I'm not sure how it will soap. I haven't made soap in a week. With what I have, I can probably make a one pound batch of something. But what?
chocolate coconut milk??? OMG i just died and gone to heaven! I wish i had used that in my chocolate oatmeal soap tonight!

omg I almost decided on chocolate oatmeal soap too, lol. But I really wanted the scent. I found it at the grocery store in box milk row, right next to regular coconut milk.

omg I almost decided on chocolate oatmeal soap too, lol. But I really wanted the scent. I found it at the grocery store in box milk row, right next to regular coconut milk.
Im going grocery shopping tomorrow so this is timely info, thanks! :p

Well, here it is. The colors are pretty, hope the blue holds. I don't know what possessed me to think amber, patchouli, and a roaring fire would smell good. It's cleaner in the soap, but I think I'm too old for heavy, heady fragerences. PS I need better organization and a monkey to do the dirty work. :)

indonesianteakwood.jpg

Well, here it is. The colors are pretty, hope the blue holds. I don't know what possessed me to think amber, patchouli, and a roaring fire would smell good. It's cleaner in the soap, but I think I'm too old for heavy, heady fragerences. PS I need better organization and a monkey to do the dirty work. :)
Wow, i reallly love that shade of blue! What colorant is it? All I have is ultra marine blue and im getting "meh" about it lol

you know, this is a cheap colorant. I didn't have money for those so I got a trial pack from Michaels that had red, yellow, and blue, in it. You can make any color from those three colors, though there's no accounting for how lye changes pigment. Anyway, It's the same pack where my red turned pink in the accidental bacon soap. The colors hold well enough, you just really have to use a lot more then you would with M&P. I think they might be labcolors, really.

you know, this is a cheap colorant. I didn't have money for those so I got a trial pack from Michaels that had red, yellow, and blue, in it. You can make any color from those three colors, though there's no accounting for how lye changes pigment. Anyway, It's the same pack where my red turned pink in the accidental bacon soap. The colors hold well enough, you just really have to use a lot more then you would with M&P. I think they might be labcolors, really.
Thanks. Next time I go to Michaels I will print me a 40% off coupon and check them out. I've never strayed from oxides/pigments but have always wondered about lab colors... hmmm

Latest posts

Back