Some of my other hobbies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some of my turnings. I am new to turning acrylic and love it because it is so easy to polish but have mostly turned wood.

3pens.jpg

30cal.jpg

50cal.jpg

acrylic.jpg

honeydipper.jpg

Those are gorgeous pens! Is this hard to learn?

Thank you Hazel. I did not think it was hard to learn. My brother taught me years ago then left me all of his tools and lathes when he passed. I never got very good at turning bowls like he did though.

Excellent work Marghewitt!
I am sure you could also make beautiful custom made shaving brush handles.

Here are some of my turnings. I am new to turning acrylic and love it because it is so easy to polish but have mostly turned wood.

Those are so cool! When my husband was deployed to Iraq he received a couple of wooden pens that looked like some of yours. It was a very nice thing that some people do......making and sending those kinds of things to deployed soldiers with a note.

marghewitt I turn also! Those are very nice! Isn't acrylic fun?

Yay another female turner! I have never met another woman who turned wood on a lathe. I love acrylic! I have soooo much nice wood that has just been sitting for years because I can't stop playing with the acrylic. I have done a few pieces in an acrylic polyester composite and it shatters every time! I am always looking for other materials to turn. I once even mixed a two part epoxy with some pigment for soaping and turned that. It is the solid pink pen in one of the pictures above.

I'm sorry to hear your brother passed. This must make it a bittersweet hobby - missing him but having good memories of being with him. It may not have been hard to learn for you but I'm not very handy with some things. I liked Sapwn's suggestion of making shaving handles.

I'm sorry to hear your brother passed. This must make it a bittersweet hobby - missing him but having good memories of being with him. It may not have been hard to learn for you but I'm not very handy with some things. I liked Sapwn's suggestion of making shaving handles.
I'll make them if anyone is interested in buying them......

My brother passed 2003 of a heart attack. He was only 50. Thank you and yes I do still miss him.

I am sorry. That is young to pass.

Have you considered selling on Etsy? I I looked at some on Etsy and they are a bit pricey. I don't know if this is because the materials are expensive or if it's just markup. You'd probably know. You can put the link in your sig line if you open an Etsy store. One of these pens isn't something I'd buy for myself but I would buy as a Christmas gift. Are there other items you make to have a selection for people? I don't know anything about this hobby so I don't know what is possible.

I used to sell a lot during the holidays and at craft shows. I would sell a good pen and pencil set for $60 or just the pen for $25. I sold the white marble pen for $120. Now I just prefer to soap. I still turn trinkets and pens on request for family but mostly make honey dippers now because my husband and son are so into beekeeping. I do sell our honey on my web site.

These are lovely, Mark. Do you sell them.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

No; I don't sell them. Most of them only require a new set of washers and a serious dose of metal polish. Every so often I need to find a part, but they're not difficult to find. You should see the "before" pictures :)

They can be quite old. The small three-legged one on the right dates from the 1920s and was made in Sweden. They work perfectly, and I wouldn't hesitate to take one out to the park or on a fishing trip. Though most of them run on kerosene, some run on Coleman fuel.

So you have a house full of old stoves ..... and shaving soap! Great!

My family benefit from my other hobbies - cooking and baking (mainly with sourdough ....). So soaping is my only hobby that doesn't lead to weight gain!

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Back