Some new soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrambleNBumble

Reaction score
I've been fairly busy at work with the holidays coming up but I have had a few chances to make soap. The red one is my strawberry preserves just after pouring and then cut. The green and grey, it was supposed to be purple but for some reason it stayed grey, is a lavender peppermint that I made yesterday and will cut it today.

IMG_20131201_243601_407.jpg

IMG_20131201_201323_774.jpg

IMG_20131204_180354_373.jpg

The strawberry preserves looks great! Did you use strawberry seeds in it?

I'm sorry the purple didn't come out like you planned. What colorant did you use for it?

The strawberry preserves looks great! Did you use strawberry seeds in it?

I'm sorry the purple didn't come out like you planned. What colorant did you use for it?

I used poppy seeds in the soap to give it a strawberry look. As far as the purple, I used crafter's choice matte purple powder. I put some in a bit of sweet almond oil to break up the clumps but it didn't turn out purple. Here's a picture after I cut it.

Lavender Mint.jpg

The soap looks good and I like the semi-swirl effect. If it was red instead of green, it would like lava flowing through the earth. You could try red and purple and give it a fire type name

I went and looked at the purple on WSP's site. It is a pretty color and it's a shame it's not stable in soap. You always want to make sure it says a colorant is stable in high pH or that it is stable in cold process soap. You might be able to use the powder in bath bombs. I'd mix it with the citric acid so hopefully it will retain the purple color. Although I'm not sure how well it would stay stable since baking soda would raise the pH but it's worth a try.

I love the strawberry one. I think it is weird that the purple didn’t stay the color it was supposed to… but for some reason the green and gray swirl reminds me of a lava lamp.

Love the strawberry one, looks just like strawberry jam (now craving strawberry jam). I like the lavender mint, it looks very gnomish, almost expect to find some crystals :) Sorry it didn't work as purple. I bet it smells divine though!

Sometimes it's hard to find this info. On WSP's site, you have to scroll down a little to see it. I also like to check reviews. I still like the idea of doing a volcano/lava soap with it. Also, you could make volcanic ash soap if you have some bentonite clay (it's formed by the weathering of volcanic ash). You just want to make sure the clay is wet before putting it into the batch. Someone mentioned in a previous discussion it was so absorbent that it can affect the soap and make it crumbly.

Back