Sodium Lactate in CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnray

Reaction score
Just want to get an idea of how popular sodium lactate is in your bars?

What I know (correct if I am wrong) it just helps to harden the soaps a little quicker.

Some people say it also helps with the unmolding. I've never had any problems with un molding so I haven't tried it.

I use SL in all my CP soap recipes (except salt bars). It helps harden the soap and also makes it easier to unmold from silicone. When I first started soap making I was using only wood molds lined with freezer paper then cutting at about 24 hours. I had no problems with soap being too soft back then. Now that I use mostly silicone, I can unmold and cut at about 14-18 hours. For those that don't want to use SL, table salt will serve the same purpose.

Same here, in every batch excluding salt and solesiefe (brine) soap. Using sl in salt and solesiefe soap makes it super crumbly, but hardens softer and normal formulas. It definitely helps with unmolding, for me anyway!

Along with hardening the soap, making it easier for unmolding, and contributing to a glossier, shinier bar, IMO it also adds a nice silky slip feeling to the soap while using it. I use it in every batch also (except as others have said, salt bars)

I only use it in soft soap recipes like my castiles or facial bars that take longer to harden up. Makes them slip out of the mold much easier. Don't use it for most of my soapmaking thou.

Its not necessary to use. Its a matter of personal preference. It does have all the benefits listed above. I just prefer to use less in my soapmaking. If its not necessary I don't use it. After all, I also have a small business to run and to me its just another way to save money by not using it when not necessary saves me money.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses!

I got my SL in the last week and i must say that it really made unmoulding a lot easier. It also makes cutting them sort of better? I get lesser squished ends at the bottom of the dough cutter.

I hope it's okay to post here instead of starting a new thread.

I've been wanting to try SL, but I don't have it yet, so I'm planning to use salt instead. How much sea salt should I use? Thanks!

I hope it's okay to post here instead of starting a new thread.

I've been wanting to try SL, but I don't have it yet, so I'm planning to use salt instead. How much sea salt should I use? Thanks!
I use a 1/4 to a 1/2 a tsp. per pound of oils. I also disolve it in the water before adding my lye. You can play around with the amount depending upon your formula. If you have more solid oils, start with 1/4 tsp, more liquid oils do 1/2 tsp per lb of oils. Maybe start with a smaller batch to see how it turns out! Have fun!

I use a 1/4 to a 1/2 a tsp. per pound of oils. I also disolve it in the water before adding my lye. You can play around with the amount depending upon your formula. If you have more solid oils, start with 1/4 tsp, more liquid oils do 1/2 tsp per lb of oils. Maybe start with a smaller batch to see how it turns out! Have fun!
Going to have to try this, especially with out slab batches!

Latest posts

Back