Soapy smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doozleoop

Reaction score
Hello. I've noticed that with almost all soaps I make (hot process), my soap has a "soapy" smell which overcomes the fragrance. It doesn't smell good, but it doesn't smell rancid either. Is this normal? Or is it a function of the types of oils used, not using enough fragrance, or what? It's really annoying when you think you're going to have a really awesome-smelling batch, but after you wash your hands, you mostly smell that unfavorable scent...

Hi doosleoop
Can you share your recipe?
My unscented soaps smell like soap, but not as overpowering as you describe.
I did have an overheated batch that smelled so strong and yucky I had to toss it. Maybe that could be it?

Hi! :)
I noticed that soap with a high amount of coconut oil or palm kernel oil has this smell. For example salt bars… even with fragrance…
I can feel this “soapy” smell very good, though my friend doesn’t. It’s sad but I can’t use such soap, I don’t like this smell…(((

You know, when I made my first salt bar I was VERY happy ))))) it was very white and hard and without any fragrance. But when I used it my boyfriend said that I smell strange like a cheap soap. May be it's because of sharp sense of smell...

Maybe because of quality of oils too. Different grade of olive, coconut or palm oil produce smell. Mine used about ~ 30% of each coconut, olive and grapeseed oil so it had a soapy smell that almost beat Lavender EO I put in.

dagmar88 said:
:? Strange, my 100% coconut soaps barely have any smell.

Ditto. I get absolutely no horrible smell from my 100% Coconut, not even with goat milk or in salt bar. I CP but allow it to gel. I have a sensitive nose too.

Back