Soaps and all the extra additives...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, soap is a wash off product but... Some soaps do work with skin problems. I.E posion Ivy soap does work on it to help keep flare up down. But again you have to leave it on for a few mins then wash it off. The point here is homemade soap is cleaner than store bought since it does not contain the harsh chemicals. It does help clear up skin problems mostly do to the fact those chemicals are not in the soap. When you add things like calendula for eczema you will see it helps but only to a certain extent. The time left on as long as it does not dry will help those skin problems more so than commercial soap.

I make a soap for my daughter and brother in law who have eczema. I use goats milk full strength for my liquids and a low percentage of coconut, but I always have the coconut in there. Coconut is drying and that helps weeping of skin, but percentage is key because you always need that conditioning factor. I'd say no more than 20% coconut. I put oatmeal in there as well at trace, but I'm talking very finely ground and I don't load it in, just about a level cup for a 5 or 6 lb batch. Honey is another ingredient I like to add that jibes well with the other ingredients. I never use fragrance oils as they are irritating to sensitive skin. I use pure organic lavender eo at about 4.5 oz for a 5 lb batch. And always, since eczema is related to allergies, make sure you know what they are allergic to such as nuts, you would never use an unrefined nut oil in soap for eczema, or if they are allergic to coconut,,,, but the consumer can always check your labels as well providing you have listed everything on the label. Also, tea tree mixed in with lavender is a nice addition, but I like lavender for just about everything related to skin issues... It heals burns and cuts and washes skin to boot. Good luck with your soap. I am thinking of using my calendula infused oil or try comfrey in there and do a test run with my bro in law; however, I always cp my recipes... I still think that a lot of the goodness stays in the cp soap recipes if you superfat because I did a jewelweed and pine tar soap. I infused the jewelweed in oo for about 6 months shaking and turning the bottle throughout the infusion period. I really believe its in my final bars because I got poison oak and everytime I start itching and wash, my arm stops itching instantly (the pine tar helps that too). Pine tar soap has been helpful as well for itchy skin and eczema.

Last edited:
I agree soap washes off, but I fully believe that while it is there it has an effect on the skin. My skin is often exposed to harsh weather elements which often leave it chapped, rough, or sometimes dry. After using homemade milk soap, I can't believe how soft my skin is, even after rinsing thoroughly. It isn't just my imagination either, i have asked family members to feel my skin and tell me what they think, and they say its alot softer than normal.
I hate lotions because they often have over powering perfume in them, which make me sneeze, or I often find some lotions actually dry my skin out worse than before, requireing another application of lotion, which causes me to wonder if the product is actually formulated to dry out skin, so they can sell more lotions products:Kitten Love:

NightHawk that's an interesting theory.. it would depend on what the ingredients are but think it would be kinda hard to go opposite on a lotion. :)

Funny though because that's what peppermints/mints can do with lip balms and its said by some that carmex, balmex, etc. that use strong mints actually do it to not really heal. Can't say that its true but it's what I've heard on the internet 'world'.

If I remember correctly alot of your commercial lotions contain mineral oil, which I understand basically cannot be absorbed by most people's bodies properly, so other than feeling greasy they don't do much for a person.
Concerning milk soap leaving ones skin feeling very soft, -There used to be a story out there that people would bath in milk to soften and heal their skin.
I am wondering if there may be healing properties in the milk-sugars, proteins, glycerins etc that actually "feed" ones skin so that even if the soap is washed off, there is healing properties left behind and absorbed by the skin..
I have heard a few stories how milk soap helps eczema, and am wondering if it isn't true. A very young family member was starting to have a break out with eczema, and a quick shower with milk soap, and the next morning it was 99.99.99% gone.
Happen-stance --or did it really help? I am starting to form my own opinion on the matter, as often very few ointments help with this induvidual...

Latest posts

Back