Soaping With Yeast

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always want to throw stuff in soap with out much reason but I have wondered about yeast before. The following is just a schmogus borg of stuff I've read and kicked around my knogen and based on a fat goose egg of actual science. Yeast is high in proteins and selenium. Proteins are often used to give a "silky" feeling to soap and selenium is antifungal and sometimes used to treat dandruff, maybe this would help for other fungal skin conditions too??? So go for it and let us know. Hopefully it won't come out smelling like yeast.

If I were putting yeast in soap I would use some the yeast cake left after beer brewing, or the dregs from a craft beer that bottle carbonates. Smells nommy.

I suggested the same thing to somebody who wanted to do a moonshine soap. I think a good pitch for a nitch market would be to approach micro breweries and make soap from their beer with their spent yeast cake. $$ they could sell the soap at the gift shop. Is their a hoppy EO?

Any updates about this experiment? I am so much interested in adding yeast to my soap to benefit from the protiens and vitamines in the yeast!

What kind of yeast are you talking about?

I know kombucha and beer needs their yeast in order to be brewed. These brewed liquids doesn't include proteins from the yeast?

I intend to use some day kombucha tea into a soap to see if it makes any different feeling on my skin. Till now I know beer is a great liquid to use in soap and I will use it frequently.

Nikos

I suggested the same thing to somebody who wanted to do a moonshine soap. I think a good pitch for a nitch market would be to approach micro breweries and make soap from their beer with their spent yeast cake. $$ they could sell the soap at the gift shop. Is their a hoppy EO?
I have made soap for a brewery from their yeast cake and their, as DeeAnna stated "dregs" from the bottom. In my opinion it did make a nice soap, but nothing outstanding. Problem is, they never got their gift shop going so they ended up using the soap for presents

So funny. I make bread every Friday, so I've considered regular rise yeast...but really don't know what if any benefit would be derived from it (as opposed to plain beer boiled down). Carolyn has great experience. Is brewers yeast the same as what I buy in a jar for making bread? Not a beer connoisseur nor maker... been a beer consumer though, but not much help in that!

So funny. I make bread every Friday, so I've considered regular rise yeast...but really don't know what if any benefit would be derived from it (as opposed to plain beer boiled down). Carolyn has great experience. Is brewers yeast the same as what I buy in a jar for making bread? Not a beer connoisseur nor maker... been a beer consumer though, but not much help in that!

It is a different strain of yeast but I have no idea if there is any real benefit to yeast and if one type would be any different than the others.

side note for non brewers, the ones used for beer are more tolerant of alcohol and there are different strains that have different tolerances and impart different flavors to the beer. There are also those who sub the traditional beer yeasts for wine and champagne yeast (usually for ciders) to brew a higher alcohol concentration. The guy who worked at the brew place I used to frequent would make a annual cider made with the champagne yeast and had a party to go with it.

Brewer's yeast is NOW different than bread yeast. Bakers back in "the old days" used yeast from brewers.
It's all Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but there are different strains and mutations thereof. Beer yeast strains are optimized for alcohol production, baker's yeast for CO2 production. You can use bread yeast to make beer, but it'll taste terrible; use three different strains of beer yeast in an otherwise identical recipe and you'll wind up with three very different beers.

Whether any of this would have an effect on soap is another thing.

Latest posts

Back