Soaping troubles...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agriffin

Reaction score
So, What happens if you don't mix your 5 gallon bucket of palm oil well enough? I've had more than a few failed batches and I'm trying to figure out why.

But I'm wondering what happens to your soap if you don't mix y our palm oil enough?

The only other thing is I changed olive oil...so that's next on my list to weed out.

Thanks,
Amanda

it depends on where you are in the bucket. the stearic acid tends to settle, so if that's happened and you are working off the top of the bucket then you can have a softer soap than you anticipated. if off the bottom you can have a harder soap, one that accelerates more than expected, or some claim that you can even stearic acid spots tho if they oil was completely melted I don't see how that happens.

carebear said:
it depends on where you are in the bucket. the stearic acid tends to settle, so if that's happened and you are working off the top of the bucket then you can have a softer Topeka than you anticipated. if off the bottom you can have a harder Topeka, one that accelerates more than expected, or some claim that you can even stearic acid spots tho if they oil was completely melted I don't see how that happens.

Thanks, Carebear-

Yeah, I melted and stirred...and transferred to smaller buckets and stirred again before I used...so I just don't think it's that.

So now, I'm thinking it is the olive oil. I just remembered when I went to walmart to get olive oil- the brand I get was out of regular and I had to get virgin...so I'm going to see if they have my regular back in stock and get that and try.

Also there has been a long ongoing scam where olive oil makers have been cutting their olive oil with other cheaper oils. Its highly possible you may have gotten some of this. The way to tell is by putting the oil in the fridge if it solidifys its pure, if not then more than likely you don't have pure olive oil.

GoddessMama said:
Also there has been a long ongoing scam where olive oil makers have been cutting their olive oil with other cheaper oils. Its highly possible you may have gotten some of this. The way to tell is by putting the oil in the fridge if it solidifys its pure, if not then more than likely you don't have pure olive oil.

I'm pretty sure it's the olive oil at this point...I'll try that.

Thanks!

GoddessMama said:

Wouldnt they by law have to list any other ingredients? I think I would be tempted to notify the FDA if I suspected said shenanigans!

what has happened to your failed batches? maybe we can help you. what oils did you use?

Latest posts

Back