SoapHutch molds and gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reallyrita

Reaction score
I have just wasted a precious hour of my soaping time cleaning up from yet another mold leak and I am rethinking the SoapHutch molds. I know there is a long lead time on ordering and getting one, but what stops me is not knowing how hard it is to get gel or if you can get gel at all. Also, is it easy to get the soap out? Do you find you have to line? I am not in production but I sure make alot of soap. If you use SoapHutch molds and are willing to share your experience with me, I would be grateful. :)

I use mr doright molds sometimes (almost afraid to mention the name on here at this point.... :roll: ) but they are made of the same material and I do get gel if I cover it with a wooden lid and insulate (and don't peek). There have a been a couple of batches that didn't gel all the way out to the edges, but I peeked and I just wonder if I let too much heat out.

I have the same material molds as oldragbagger and they gel like a dream . I use a towel under the mold and a towel folded in half on top. Stopping gel is my problem in these molds :wink: .
I do have to say , I have only heard good things about the soaphutch molds.

Kitn

I have 6 of SoapHutch molds and I love them. I have 2 double lucite vertical molds which get used the most. I also have 2 HDPE slabs and I ordered another one. I don't gel. I stick them in the fridge or the freezer. Here is me pushing easily to get the soap out with his pusher.

SoapHutchmoldpusher1.jpg

Inspiring picture, Soapbuddy, for those of us who have pushed with the old can of peas technique :) . Thanks to you all, I am going to order one...but which one..hmm..choices, choices... Will let you all know.

i use what ever i can pour soap in as a mold-- lol-- if i put seran and then lay a peice of carboard overtop (so not to crush the soap top) and lay several blankets on top-- i can get it to gel. I use the rubbermaid drawer inserts that are about 18 in long and 2 1/2 wide. (approx size) the are dk gray and i got them from walmart for $2.96. put them inside of a trash bag (white-- as a liner). Then when im ready to unmold i just lift them out using the bag-- side the clean mold into another trash bag. I leave them on the bag to cut-- crumbs or scraps stay on the bag-- (will move to shelf to cure) and cleanup is EASY. fold the bag up and toss-- molds stay clean and table stays clean-- all i have to wash is my cutter (large putty knife-- 6.99 from home depot)-- I tend to be a cheepy on accesories but not on supplies--lol

I have bought a very nice wodden mold from someone on here that was lined with foam that does pull nicely from the soap and i use if alot and do love it but i had a bad leak from it one time and found it all over the table (now messed up) on the floor-- (luckly had newspapers under the table) and it made the mold look moldy white.-- it still works fine and like it-- have fixed it with superglue gel but....... i probly wont ever pay $80's for a soap mold again! (i get nervouse everytime i do pull it out to use it just incase it leaks again).

my 2 cents

Holy Crap are those soap hutch molds expensive!! I found the Dr Doright on ebay, and they seem more reasonable.... Since I don't make money off of my soap, I can't justify that kind of money on a mold... :(

They are expensive, but since I sell, they are worth it. I like the fact that I don't have to line them and they are ready on a moments notice. They are quality made and I intend to use them for a long time to come.

soap hutch

I use soap hutch molds, too.

And wouldn't use anything else. He does an awesome job with them. I assume that because he isn't turning them around quickly, he's ensuring their quality and they are worth waiting for.

I have used them lined and not lined....first use, they're tough to get the soap out without the lining, but after that, it's a breeze.

The model I have, the bottom breaks away which makes lining the three chambers ridiculously easy.

My hutch molds are white like Soapbuddy's.

I have to encourage gel as I find the Hutch molds don't hold the heat like wood.

HTH

Soapmommie,

what do you use to cut your bars with? I love how nice and straight you cut them..

artisan soaps said:
soapbuddy said:
I have 6 of SoapHutch molds and I love them. I have 2 double lucite vertical molds which get used the most. I also have 2 HDPE slabs and I ordered another one. I don't gel. I stick them in the fridge or the freezer. Here is me pushing easily to get the soap out with his pusher.

SoapHutchmoldpusher1.jpg

How easy are these to clean ?
I got me a long handled brush that I use along with some warm water. That seems to do the trick. :)

Latest posts

Back