Soap went berserk on me (pics)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koshka

Reaction score
Alright, I'm not quite sure what happened, and I've never seen anything like this before.

Nothing has changed in my soap making process except the fact that I now have this ugliness. After I pour soap into the molds I insulate it.. Overheating? Any ideas?

CAM00025[1].jpg

CAM00026[1].jpg

Do you use palm oil? Could that be what they call stearic crackle? I'm still pretty fairly new, but that would be my guess. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to look.

I don't use Palm Oil. It might be the oxides that are causing this... the soap is fine, but it just looks like poop :(

Are you mixing your oxides with something before adding it to your soap batter? If so what and how? I can't really tell from the pictures but you may not be mixing well enough.
Can you tell us exactly what your process was? Are you using glycerin?

Did you say you used oxides to color? If so, I've had the oxides(all colors) leave clear streaks in the soap when it overheats. If this is the first time you've used oxides and you always insulate, it could be that. Luck!

It looks like it overheated. When using oxides, it will really show this crackle effect when it get too hot in the mold. im starting to like the crackle effect, it can look a little artsy ;)

I don't think it looks bad at all.... I actually kinda like it. It's like veins or neural synapses I like it.

I like the look too. I'm in awe of round soaps because of the challenge of how to pkg them. Love the coffee filter way.

If you repeat the recipe maybe just add everything early and stir and stir then pour at a thicker trace. I've had problems when I poured too early of the scent not mixing. Honey also needs to be incorporated to the max.

I have something simulair in my pumpkin puree soap. I mixed TD with glycerin to avoid white spots, that might have been te problem. They might be glycerin veins? I'm not experienced enough to tell.

IMAG0189_zps28427b64.jpg

Overheating. This is more common in tube molds as there is less surface area for the heat to dissipate.

Did you use a fragrance oil? Perhaps it contributed to the temperature.

The crackle is harmless and your soap is safe to use. I think it looks kind of cool myself.

yeah they're called glycerin rivers... usually happens with oxides (I've seen it happen several times with titanium dioxide) when the soap overheats. It's not bad and lots think it adds to the overall aesthetics of the soap. =)

Ladies, I bow to you! Thank you so much for all your help!

Ok, so the way I mix stuff into my soap is: bring soap to light trace, pour a bit into a separate container, mix the oxides in there (i was using yellow oxide for the color), add the mixed oxides to the big batch, add scent, give it a nice final stir and pour. Then i would insulate the PVC pipes with stockinettes (I think that's where my problem lies) So apparently now I have an issue not only with yellow oxides but also with pink clay. Same thing happened to my rose scent (added pink clay to that batch) The bars come out with veins in them and a couple of weeks later they become very oily :( I've checked my recipe a million times probably. Everything is fine... Maybe its the weather :(

I thought of it, but seems like all of my oils are fine. I make so much soap that they don't have a chance to go bad. I am also being careful with storing my oils (learned the hard way lol)

Is it possible one of your oils has gone 'bad'?

I get that when my soap starts accelerating faster than I can pour it in the mould. Especially when I am making layers.

I would bet on overheating. However, I do not think it looks bad at all and if you were in a selling environment, customers probably won't even give it a second thought. Handmade items are associated with rusticness and non-uniformity. If they want something perfect, they'll buy it as walmart :) Keep soapin' ;)

Back