Custom Craft polycarbonate molds - your experience

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage Daughter

Formerly known as Quasi Quadrant
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been told my molds will be shipping shortly so thought it might be a good idea to ask anyone who has experience with Custom Craft Tools molds for any advice they might have.

Feedback regarding any issues you might have run into using these molds such as:

• overheating?
• bubbling or 'rash' on sides of soaps?
• insulating?
• un-molding / de-molding?
• anything at all, really....

....would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

I have been told my molds will be shipping shortly so thought it might be a good idea to ask anyone who has experience with Custom Craft Tools molds for any advice they might have.

Feedback regarding any issues you might have run into using these molds such as:

• overheating?
• bubbling or 'rash' on sides of soaps?
• insulating?
• un-molding / de-molding?
• anything at all, really....

....would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)
Hi @QuasiQuadrant, how do you like your molds? I am building my wish list and a divided mold is near the top of the list. Custom Craft Tools has a 12” divided mold I am considering.

Hi @QuasiQuadrant, how do you like your molds? I am building my wish list and a divided mold is near the top of the list. Custom Craft Tools has a 12” divided mold I am considering.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure yet. I have been primarily using my Russian birch plywood molds, which I got for an exceptional price, which are very sturdily made & hold heat really well when insulating - great for gelling. I get between 60 to 64 bars out of each mold & have no wastage /offcuts, which is awesome. They will last generations, I'm sure. They are 16 pound slab molds, but I seem to remember Martha telling me she also makes other standard sized molds, as well as custom sized molds. Awesome customer service with her too, quick shipping, very FAST turn around time, very secure shipping. I ordered more from her while waiting for my Custom Craft Tool molds because I had orders to fulfill & couldn't wait for my CCT order to arrive, as helpful as Alex was, and as accommodating as she was. CCT definitely has exceptional customer service & lightening quick response time, gotta say :)

I have only used my cylindrical molds from Custom Craft Tools up to this point, for my pull throughs, so that's the only help I can be at the moment. I know you didn't ask about these specifically, but the information might help others as well, so Ill include it.

What I like about these:
  • they're sturdy & will last a very long time
  • the inside of the bottom has a silicone pad which leaves a really nice, smooth finish (but that usually ends up being trimmed off or planed anyways, so not really something that's a huge plus for me)
  • no lines down the sides like I get with my cylindrical silicone molds
  • no rash on the sides of my soap when I insulate & heat with my electric blanket
  • very smooth sides, perfectly cylindrical loafs, as long as my batter doesn't get too thick & create air bubbles
What I'm not so fond of:
  • the liners, which are not very sturdy, and which are prone to bending; I cut them in half because they were so long it was impossible to wash them in my kitchen sink (they get very greasy so require a good washing), and because they wrap the inside of the mold twice around the inner diameter - cutting the liners was a mistake as the edges became ragged & then tore 🙁
  • the fact that using them without the liners can result in difficult-to-remove soap
  • I also find the liners difficult to clean because of the aforementioned bending; it's hard to clean them without laying the dirty liners on the counter & washing them that way, which ultimately makes more of a mess for me, plus I then need to wipe down both sides with alcohol to de-grease them, and then clean my counter top
  • less volume capacity than my cylindrical silicone molds, which are a breeze to clean
  • several of my pull-throughs won't fit these molds, but all of my pull-throughs fit my silicone molds
  • I have to get my arm into the molds past my elbow 😂 to clean them properly
I also have some of the 8 pound loaf molds, which I haven't used yet as I have been trying to figure out how to modify my cuts using these molds in order to not have bars which are too large (more cure time & less profit due to larger bars) and so I don't have too much which requires trimming in order to stay with my standard size bar - difficult to explain. I'm still sussing that out :)

I got some of the slab molds as well, with the dividers. I went to put some together the other day & have been having other issues with that. I need to re-check the pieces which I received later this week, which I did do upon order unpacking, to ensure I have everything. I requested liners with these so I could use them with or without the dividers, but despite the fact that I knew their depth when ordering, I wish they were deeper 😂 And again, those liners are a pain to work with. I just don't like them. They do come with lids, which is great but....I can't give you full feedback regarding how I feel about these particular ones yet until I actually use them. Check back with me on that 😁

If you're ordering more than one - I ordered a lot more than one - understand that you will have a lot of unpacking to do. Lots of bubble wrap, plus the plastic protective film layer which needs to be removed from every piece. I found this super time consuming & overwhelming, especially with the number of molds I ordered.

The plus to all the bubble wrap is you can save it all for shipping orders of your own 😁

I hope some of that information helps :)

Thank you for the great review! This is very helpful. Who makes the Russian birch molds and the silicone cylindrical molds you like? Do you have a divided mold you like? I am looking for a smaller mold, 2-3 pounds, as I don’t sell and smaller batches work best for me. I have seen people use cardboard for dividers and haven’t tried that but maybe I should. I really want to try a Taiwan swirl and similar designs. I have considered buying acrylic and making my own as I do like making my own things but sometimes it really is better to buy the right tool rather than DIY. I made a couple oak molds that work great with freezer paper liners and an oak frame for cutting bars that works but I can’t get consistent cuts with it. I am also looking for a multi bar cutter and a beveler. Since I don’t sell it’s harder to justify spending a lot on things that are “nice to have”.

Wouldn't it have been better to ask BEFORE you purchased? LOL And you don't mention which of the CCT molds you have purchased. I know that there are several soap makers on YT that use their molds (or similar materials) and all seem to like them: Royal Berry Apple, Ariane Arsenault, I Dream in Soap, Etsuko Watanabe, and Oh Yvonne to name a few.

From personal experience with a variety of different molds, I'm not a fan of HDPE without some kind of liner...whether it be freezer paper, silicone or liner sheets. I've seen the acrylic ones used with and without liners...they appear to work better if you allow your soap to gel. My sister really likes the look of the "Pull Through" soap...I told her that if she buys the equipment, I will make the soap.

Thank you for the great review! This is very helpful. Who makes the Russian birch molds and the silicone cylindrical molds you like?

The Russian birch molds are made by a woman I came across on Etsy who I initially purchased a cutter from, who happened to not be far from me, which worked out perfectly. I then found out she also makes molds but had not listed them on Etsy for several reasons.

She makes the molds herself based on the collaboration she has with a friend who is a professional soap maker. She has been a soap maker as well, but not in the same capacity as her friend. I believe her soap making is more of a hobby from the conversation we had. Regardless, she understands what soap makers need & is very flexible. I initially thought her husband looked after the power tools part, but as she mentioned she does the vast majority of the work herself. If you PM me, I can give you her email address, which she is ok with. Her name is Martha.

She makes spectacular, very high quality cutters as well. I have 2 of her cutters & 4 of her slab molds. I love everything I purchased from her. She even made me lids for my molds upon request & has since decided to include them with all slab molds. She also made my molds a 1/2" higher after taking my comments with my experience with her products into consideration - she offered to do this for me, which was awesome - and then decided that she would continue making all of the slab molds like this going forward. Her prices are very reasonable as well. Not sure of all the sizes she has available as I only purchased 16 pound slab molds from her, but she did mention she has other sizes. I would recommend getting in touch with her directly. She is very easy to deal with & understands the needs & wants of soap makers.

The cylindrical molds are from Crafter's Choice. I love them because of ease of soap removal, ease of cleanup as soap doesn't stick to them much, and the fact that they come apart in 2 pieces, which helps when I need to store them in my mold bin. You do need to use bulldog clips with them to keep the sides extra secure, but I believe that goes for most silicone cylindrical molds.

Do you have a divided mold you like?

I do have the CCT's divider molds, but have not yet used them for several reasons, as I mentioned. These are the ones I purchased: Clear slab soap mold with bottom liner solution 5-7LBS

I am looking for a smaller mold, 2-3 pounds, as I don’t sell and smaller batches work best for me. I have seen people use cardboard for dividers and haven’t tried that but maybe I should. I really want to try a Taiwan swirl and similar designs. I have considered buying acrylic and making my own as I do like making my own things but sometimes it really is better to buy the right tool rather than DIY.

CCT's makes dividers for their own molds, although I haven't ordered those specifically. I do have the dividers which came with the above slab molds & can say they are sturdy & well-made. So maybe find out how much a custom order would cost for dividers which fit your molds? Dividers

They have nice tabs for what looks like easy removal!

I made a couple oak molds that work great with freezer paper liners and an oak frame for cutting bars that works but I can’t get consistent cuts with it. I am also looking for a multi bar cutter and a beveler. Since I don’t sell it’s harder to justify spending a lot on things that are “nice to have”.

Martha definitely has STELLAR cutters! I have one of her more compact multi-bar cutters (she also does a larger one) which is made from the same Russian birch & a platform cutter that comes in 2 sizes which allows me to cut absolutely anything I want to any size I want. Slabs, loafs, bars, cylindrical loafs, I can even trim with it. Fully adjustable. It's truly beautiful, VERY solidly made, easy to clean, very reasonably priced. I have had no problems with any of her products, at all. I will be purchasing more of her equipment in the future, without a doubt. I love dealing with her & know that whatever I order from her is of the highest quality. Unpacking her orders is a joy, I kid you not. Open the box, pull things out, get to work within minutes. Her equipment is a thing of beauty & craftsmanship ❤️

I really like Wild Plantanica's beveller, which gives me a lot of options & is very reasonably priced compared to something like the beveller from LiLu. Chas is also very conscientious, packs her orders very solidly & securely with a minimum of waste left over after unpacking, and is willing to do custom orders. I had nothing but a great experience with her.

Give me a PM for Martha's email address. I think you will be very happy with anything you order from her :) These are solid, exceptionally well-made, highly functional pieces which will last a very long time, definitely not equipment which is more of a trend. I paid less for my entire order of 4 molds with lids (which break down flat for storage, my multi-bar cutter AND my platform cutter than I did for my CCT molds alone. And paying with US $$ will give you an even better price due to the favourable exchange rate 😁

CCT makes good, solid equipment & their customer service is excellent, but we all have our preferences, and mine is Martha's equipment, hands down :)

Latest posts

Back