Soap too soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyKnuckles

Reaction score
Recipe:
500 g olive oil
64 g lye crystals
180 g water
40 grams deer tallow lye soap bits, grated fine (Never one to waste any)
**edit** 6% superfatting

I used the lye calculator from Bramble Berry, but when I rechecked this morning, their calculator said 144 grams of water. I doubt their calculator throws random numbers, and it is far more conceivable that I screwed up and added too much water by 36 grams.

I followed the advice given to me here years ago and used a stick blender (cannot remember who mentioned it but thank you, thank you). I poured the soap batter into my white plastic 5 piece one-liter soap mold, wrapped in old bath towels to hold in the heat, and set it to cure. Twenty-four hours later, it is as soft as cake frosting.

So I am left to wonder if the batch is left to sit long enough, will some of the excess water evaporate and I will be able to cut bars? Or will I have to start a second batch of the same recipe and SHORT that batch 36 grams of water, then mix the two together???

Also, I just noticed that this post lands here on the same week as I joined in 2015! My first batch of soap was six years ago. Six years and this is my fourth batch...I certainly don't keep up with most of the folks in here. Lastly, thank you all for the wonderful community you have allowed me to join. I appreciate how kind and welcoming everyone has been and especially for how helpful people are. As a moderator/Admin of an online community, I know how hard it can be to establish that kind of positive culture, we all owe big kudos to the Admins and Mods of this forum!

Last edited:
I wouldn't put plastic wrap over it. The water needs to evaporate and it needs to be exposed to air.

Latest posts

Back