Soap sweat during incubation period? (with soap pics)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0ntrite

Reaction score
I just checked my recent batch and I think its sweating. But I have 5 more hrs to go for before the 24hrs incubation period ends. It is my first time to peek :D is this normal during incubation period? the soap is pretty hard.

and during incubation does the mold cover have to be air tight? mine is, you cant even leak some liquid with it. need help asap. thanks!

:? I have never heard of an incubation period...
How long your soap should stay in the mold depends more on the recipe and amount of water used; not strictly on time.
When your soap feels hard enough, take it out.
I do a zap test (wet your finger, rub on the soap and lick it. when lye heavy, you'll feel a bit of 'electricty' going through your tongue) before I take it out because your skin really suffers when coming in contact with lye heavy soap.
Normally I cut it fairly soft and right out of the mold.
Be sure to post the pics of your first soap over here!

after you've unmolded and cutted the excessive water will evaporate; so the sweating will be gone.
You don't need an airtight lit, but it will help prevent ash.

:oops: sorry i thought it was called "incubation period".

it is actually my 4th batch of soap. I have been learning a little more from every batch I make. i'll try to post some pics tomorrow :D

Dont be embarrassed. Every craft has its special words..

You did have me thinking about chicks though....hmmm incubation of soap chicks that would be ready for Easter... You might be on to a great idea !! :)

Charlotte

The only time I've had a batch sweat in the mold was when a couple got too hot and there was a bit of weeping on top. I left them alone and it ended up fine, reabsorbed what seeped out and didn't show any ill effects.

@dagmar88 I usually do a zap test one week after curing. Just posted my soap pics below :p

@charlotteda :p

@TessV thats exactly what happened to me, except I decided to remove it out of the mold and wipe the sweat with a towel. Prior to reading your post, I read somewhere in the forum that sweat makes your soap soft, so I got scared and took it out of the mold :D

Here are my soaps! I keep at least 1 soap per batch to observe it.

img2450w.jpg

Left to Right:

1st Batch: Test batch, wanted to see if I was able to make soap :D Took it out of the mold too early, :p

2nd Batch: Made a dog soap based on the mange remedy I made years ago, this is the reason why I started soaping. The bottom crumbled when cutting.
http://www.dogengine.com/modules/newbb/ ... 22&forum=6

3rd Batch (curing): My first milk and bamboo charcoal soap. Almost perfect except for the honey, it puddled.

4th Batch (curing): Improved dog soap with bamboo charcoal. Bottom still crumbled. The batch that produced sweat.

img2448b.jpg

Oh I don't know ... incubation period sounds kinda good to me. :wink: Your Mange soap sounds very interesting although I don't recognise the ingredients. Neem is good for that too.

I would suggest you start with more basic soaps first and then play around. Just my humble opinion. Have fun.

I just had to rebatch a cream soap which started sweating a week after I unmolded and cut it pic is here http://www.adputty.com.au/soap.html

In this case it was undisolved lye that was not visable until after the week had passed.

However I have had several batchs sweat during "incubation" ;) and they were fine after - in that case they had jsut gotten so hit and the surround environmental conditions were just right to make them sweat - I have even had batches that I have had to dry off after unmolded and all turned out prefect.... so IMHO you are best to wait and see after you have unmolded, cut and cured for a week or so.

Regards Rachelle

Back