Soap Sticking to Mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
~~~
Thank you for your input. I understand what you are saying, but I'm talking about raising the temp to over 400ºF, and then when it is exposed to air, the oxidation takes place very rapidly. If I quench the temp, there is no rancidity detectable.

So it is fresh, virgin coconut oil that has never been used before?
(I might try and see if I can reproduce what you are experiencing).

I'm curious - why do you get your coconut oil well past smoking hot to cook your popcorn?

So it is fresh, virgin coconut oil that has never been used before?
(I might try and see if I can reproduce what you are experiencing).

I'm curious - why do you get your coconut oil well past smoking hot to cook your popcorn?
~~~
That's just how it works out. I put an amount of CO in the pan, followed by the popcorn, put the lid on and let it pop. I was just guessing about the temperature since I haven't actually measured it with my infrared temp gun. I use CO because it takes the heat and makes the popcorn taste more like theater popcorn (which is what they use). Much of the time, however, I use peanut oil since it has one of the higher heat fractions.

If you want to reproduce the event, just follow the above procedure, and then, after you empty the pan, put the lid on and let it set for a while. After many years of being a bachelor, I've learned to make some pretty good popcorn that way (with a few other tricks).

I rather like a blend of olive oil and butter for my popcorn (I reckon it beats coconut oil hands down for flavour - here our theatre popcorn comes buttered, or at least it used to, so I'm probably doing the same - replicating the flavour :)), but I don't use super high temperatures to cook it.

The part of the experience I am going to try and replicate is overheating coconut oil to see if I can get it to give off a rancid smell quickly.

Do you reuse your coconut oil?

I rather like a blend of olive oil and butter for my popcorn (I reckon it beats coconut oil hands down for flavour - here our theatre popcorn comes buttered, or at least it used to, so I'm probably doing the same - replicating the flavour :)), but I don't use super high temperatures to cook it.

The part of the experience I am going to try and replicate is overheating coconut oil to see if I can get it to give off a rancid smell quickly.

Do you reuse your coconut oil?
~~~
No, I don't reuse it. There isn't any left when I'm through.

Back