Soap scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisp7

Reaction score
Can kitchen spices be used in homemade soap. I am using soap from a craft store.

I have used for color: paprika, dillweed, kelp, and also cornmeal, oatmeal for exfoliating effects. Which spices were you thinking of?

I know some people put cinnamon in soap too, but I haven't yet tried it.

I've heard cinnamon can be irritating to the skin so don't use too much. I've also used cocoa powder for that nice deep brown hue.

You can use all kinds of spices in your soap, but as Pepper mentioned just be cautious of skin irritants. Some additives that may be okay in a hand soap might wreck havoc on more sensitive areas like the nether regions.

I agree cinnamon is the only problem I have ever had w/ soap. I have had 3 dif people report their skin burned, like a sunburn from cinnamon in my soap :oops: . One was the hubby so he is now my cinnamon tester poor thing!

I have used everything from, liquid chlorophyll (for a green swirl) that I had to omit and change my water calculations for. to sandalwood, tumeric for a peachy color, paprika for an orangish to a peachy color, sea kelp, rose hips....

All I can say as far as using spices for coloring in soap is, try some in some oil and do a skin test before you put it in your soap. At least that is what I would do. Make sure what your using isn't going ot harm your skin. The other thought on it is, if it brings heat to your toungue it's gonna bring heat to your skin, I guess a rule of thumb I try to go by.

Back