Soap Recipe Recomendation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpilot

Reaction score
I make shave soap. Word got loose and now everyone in the familly wants a bar of bath soap made by yours truly. I’m good with shav3 #oap recipes but know nothing about bath soap recipes. Can someone recommend a good hp bath/shower soap recipe? Thanks!

You could try the old 30/30/30 and 10.

30% cleansing (like CO)
30% hardening (like soy wax, palm, or lard)
30% Oleic (like olive)
10% something nice like avocado oil or sweet almond

It’s a good basic recipe to start, but once you’re hooked on soap you’ll want to tweak it as you learn more.

I recommend reading through the beginners section. There are recipes that have been shared. However, If not opposed to lard a great recipe is
45% Lard (or Palm)
25% Coconut
25% Olive, HO Safflower, HO Sunflower, Rice Bran (whichever you prefer)
5% Castor

Basic, but a great soap.

30% cleansing (like CO)
30% Oleic (like olive)

It’s a good basic recipe to start, but once you’re hooked on soap you’ll want to tweak it as you learn more.
Nothing like a good tweak or 4!:p

I would avoid that 30/30/30/10 recipe like the plague. Sorry, Kiwimoose, but that is not a good recipe for a new soaper that is making soap for family and probably does not want to test for 6 months to find something for other people. It is fine for a new soaper that wants to be a soaper and test for months.

Definitely go with something like the recipe Shari listed, I would even give you more open parameters like:

45-65% lard, tallow, or palm
15-25% Olive oil, SAO, or other HO oils
10-15% CO or PKO
5% castor

Start at one end of the spectrum and change the amounts by 5% until you find your sweet spot.

30% cleansing (like CO)
30% Oleic (like olive)

This is not a very good one I’m afraid. I made mine and most everyone found it drying even with a higher SF.

My lard soap is the most requested from my friends and family.

55% lard
25% HO safflower
15% coconut
5% castor

Simple, cheap and battle tested. Friends and Family Approved.

The 30/30/30/10 was one of my first soaps. Didn’t care for it. There are much better combinations and recipes that have been shared. But it was someplace to start since I hadn’t found the forum yet.

Back