Soap Percentages

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savvyssoaps

Reaction score
What percentages do you use?
The oils I have are....
Virgin Olive oil
Sweet Almond oil
Aloe Vera oil
Coconut oil
Canola oil
I have lard too but I am trying to make a vegan soap.

I want to make a Green Tea and Lemongrass soap. Using Lemongrass EO and Green Tea instead of water with lye.

Any advice?

"...What percentages do you use? ... Any advice?..."

How much time do you have?

Seriously ... there are a gazillion recipes that could use these fats.

What is your goal for your soap? Do you want a soap that is a mild bath soap, an extra gentle facial soap, a shampoo bar, a soap for greasy mechanic's hands, a soap for washing dishes, ???? Starting with a goal in mind will be much more helpful -- to you as well as to us -- rather than ask such an open-ended question. Think it through, and I suspect you will get more focused on what you want to accomplish and you will get better responses from us.

Last edited:
Run recipes using these oils through a soap calc until you get what you are looking for in a soap. It totally depends on what qualities you want in the soap. There is a gazillion resources for oils and what ballpark percentages to use. I always just ran different combinations through the calc. Can't say I ever asked for someone to design a recipe for me. i've always made a recipe and if needed ask for input after doing the work. Part of learning is to see what qualities each oil brings to the party.

"...What percentages do you use? ... Any advice?..."

How much time do you have?

Seriously ... there are a gazillion recipes that could use these fats.

What is your goal for your soap? Do you want a soap that is a mild bath soap, an extra gentle facial soap, a shampoo bar, a soap for greasy mechanic's hands, a soap for washing dishes, ???? Starting with a goal in mind will be much more helpful -- to you as well as to us -- rather than ask such an open-ended question. Think it through, and I suspect you will get more focused on what you want to accomplish and you will get better responses from us.

Just a basic recipe. I have a mold that holds about 44 ounces. I'm new at this and just looking for a basic recipe. I want to make just a simple soap someone can use in the shower or bath. Or even a hand soap.
I want to know what percentages people with experience use.

Just wondering. Why?

Many people find high levels of coconut to be somewhat harsh and drying, although you can get around that by raising your superfat percentage to account for it. If your other oils will allow for it, that is...

A lot of people do like 100% coconut soap with a 20% superfat. I've never been brave enough to try it!

The actual tolerance level varies. I really hate anything over 15% coconut and tend toward 5-10% as a matter of course. Your mileage is going to vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
My basic base (go to) recipe is almost exactly the same as Susie's! (Off the top of my head)
50% Lard
21% Coconut oil
24% Olive oil
5% Castor oil
With a 5 or 6% SF. I usually add kaolin clay and hydrolyzed silk as well. I like to call this one the no frills recipe! :)
This one also behaves really well, and hardens up very nicely :)

Latest posts

Back