soap oops is it usable?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonam

Reaction score

This recipe was Palm/coconut/olive/soybean with some lavendar & chammomille tea added to the water after the lye dissolved. I did this HP you can see all the really dry bits from the bottom and sides of the pot.

I had my first intro to the zapping with this 2nd batch of soap HP,it woudn't stop zapping. i was exhausted and had to go to bed, so I gave up and threw it in the mold (1/2 gallon milk carton) and left it on the window sill for the night.

I tried it the next morning before I cut it up and it didn't zap anymore. This one didn't come out so good, its rather ugly. Thinking I'd have to rebatch as long as its safe to use. I'm thinking of rebatching maybe with milk and honey maybe.

I washed my hands with it and it felt fine but i just wanted to be sure.

It seems to me that you can rebatch that soap and add your additives with no problem. Wonder why it wouldn't stop zapping. Could have somethging to do with your recipe, proper stirring etc. . . Seems like leaving it overnight allowed it to finish its process.

Sometimes fragrance oils can do that to you too......they'll cause zap for a while afterwards.

I was wondering if i let the trace get too thick before the cook and then with the long cook it was losing too much water. Before it tucked it in i added a bit more water and a bit more oil, stirred it up and into the mold it went.

I'm staying away just yet from adding fragrance or EO to keep things as simple as possible so i can begint o udnerstand how this is supposed to go. But its hard to resist the urge to throw lots of stuff in there! 8)

I usually wait until the soap is pretty thick before cooking it. When the bubbles look different and it is no longer climbing out of the pot, I taste it and it is usually ready. Mine never looks dry. I add fragrance and jojoba, and get it into the mold. About an hour later I take a slightly damp cloth and polish the top so it is shiny like the bottom. I do it again before cutting. The finished bar has a nice gloss to it.

Maybe I'm not putting enough heat to it. I don't get the climbing out of the pot thing (seen photos of it) but then again I just have the pot on a diffuser on the burner so i can't bring the temp up too high or the bottom will burn. I'm also making pretty small batches of 1# to 1 1/2#.

1st rebatch of oops soap

I grated up half of the soap bars from this batch and added evaporated milk and honey with some chamomille and cinnamon.

It looks like pumkin fudge and is very soft.

Latest posts

Back