Soap nuts... Bubbles... Lots of them!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When do you bats that water with the lye to reach the trace does not foam?

Buaaaaaaaaaa! I have no answer ...
Also I read on the internet that for shampoo dry hair. That's because you have to use some acondiconante products. Shivani said how well this soap should be used, because Shikakai is a conditioning

Pilar, could you ask your question in a different way? I'm not certain what you are asking. And I hope you take no offense- you speak/write English better than I can do with any language I've tried to learn.

When do you bats that water with the lye to reach the trace does not foam?

Pilar,
I am not sure of the meaning of your question. (Don't take offence, I am French so I am also a foreigner speaking English!). Do you mean "does the batter foam when it reaches trace"? The answer is no. There was no foam once I added the lye solution to the oils, neither before trace nor after trace.

I made another batch yesterday (photo attached) and the bubbles are as good as in the previous one. I am convinced that the amount of bubbles is due to the soap nuts/berries.

Somebody asked about discoloration: the top and very bottom of the soap is not coloured and, as you can see, it is creamy white rather than white-white.

I hope this helps.
Nicole

Soap no. 77.jpg

Pilar,
I am not sure of the meaning of your question. (Don't take offence, I am French so I am also a foreigner speaking English!). Do you mean "does the batter foam when it reaches trace"? The answer is no. There was no foam once I added the lye solution to the oils, neither before trace nor after trace.

Oh, thanks, that's what I needed to know! Thankssss and sorry for my bad English

newbie, You did not offend me! I thank you for your help. I know some grammar and when I use google translation gives me some unfinished translations and rotations lexicons are very different from Spanish into English. So sometimes I do not give to the structured sentence hahaha. Thanks for your patience!

I love soap nuts! They do a great job in my laundry (we have hard water) as long as I use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. A bit of oxi clean added for especially dirty loads helps as well, though I've rarely had to use it. I infuse my vinegar (rinse cycle) with EO and rarely use the top brand commercial detergent still sitting on the shelf, but I can't bring myself to throw it out. :(

I've boiled them and used the liquid as shampoo as well. I can actually comb through my past shoulder length baby fine hair in the shower (wet) and love the results...soft hair, etc. I have issues though because it's runny and I always use way too much. Tried adding a thickener and still use too much. Soapwort powder will be my next experiment (I too just got some seeds).

Never thought about adding it to soap though since soap pretty much lathers all by itself.

Great to hear about the success of the soap nut liquid addition *makes notes for future reference*

pattime, I too have used soapnut liquid for shampoo and I picked up a tip about using them -- put the liquid in a foaming hand soap container. Alternatively, you can just put a few tablespoons in an applicator bottle and shake the dickens out of it. The foam is still messy but it does help with distribution so you are using less.

Great to hear about the success of the soap nut liquid addition *makes notes for future reference*

pattime, I too have used soapnut liquid for shampoo and I picked up a tip about using them -- put the liquid in a foaming hand soap container. Alternatively, you can just put a few tablespoons in an applicator bottle and shake the dickens out of it. The foam is still messy but it does help with distribution so you are using less.

Thanks MadMadamim, that's a great tip! :)

Okay, I boiled some soap nuts yesterday. Is there supposed to be white thready gunk in there? SHould I strain it out or just stick blend it in? I used distilled water.

Newbie does yours smell awful too? Mine smells like rotted corpse! Not that I've smelled it but if I did it would likely smell like this! Or rotted meat. lol

I've still not touched mine.. did it yesterday am and its still on the stove with a lid on it.
Simmered it for about 20 min. or so then turned off with lid.

Jenneelk, I was just coming on to ask if anyone else's smelled awful. Mine doesn't smell dead. It smells like sauerkraut.

I'm just about to embark on my first soap with it. I hope celestial waters covers it because the idea of fermented sea water really does nothing for me.

Haha! I just used mine in Love Spell tonight. Figured that should cover it!
Mine was rotten smelling.. Just nasty.

I've used them in the past for cloth diapering but never realized the scent they gave off. Lol

What brand did you get? I wonder what makes one smell dead and the other smell totally sour. I took a whiff of my batter before scenting and I couldn't pick it up, but it is now starting to warm up and I think I can pick up an edge of it. I hope I'm just psyching myself out.

Eco Nuts.. Mine went a wierd yellow with a 2 to 1 water/lye concentration. Maybe should have used more water with the nuts but I like the discount and faster unmolding. lol

Newbie does yours smell awful too? Mine smells like rotted corpse! Not that I've smelled it but if I did it would likely smell like this! Or rotted meat. lol

I've still not touched mine.. did it yesterday am and its still on the stove with a lid on it.
Simmered it for about 20 min. or so then turned off with lid.

I only simmered mine for about 5 mins and let it cool overnight. It did not really have any smell except a little bit when I poured the lye on top of it. The smell did not stay in the soap though.

I have Green Will. I brought mine to a boil, simmered for 5-10 min and cooled overnight too. Still smells like kraut but I can't smell it in my soap. I tried the bar that gelled last night but I don't think the lather is any different. Will see as it cures.

Latest posts

Back