Soap molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Bell

Reaction score
I want to make a goats milk soap recipe and I dont like the molds I have can I use a paper lined muffin tin?

Attachments

• 152509501323472862395.jpg
    152509501323472862395.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 7
silicone muffins molds in any store are really cheap, I would mind the wrinkles on my soap, I hope that lining is not wax paper

silicone muffins molds in any store are really cheap, I would mind the wrinkles on my soap, I hope that lining is not wax paper

I cant find silicon and I dont have a lot of money to spend that why I was asking if I could use the ones I had

You know I just used silicone muffin liners in CP cupcake soaps I made this weekend.. and wasn't thrilled with how they came out. The sides ended up still being soft and sticky after a couple of days. Definitely, use sodium lactate if you end up going that route.

I too wondered if it was possible to use these disposable liners instead. I think regular ones are just parchment paper without any sort of coating. (literally just paper) The only thing I would be concerned with, is that an uncoated paper might draw water or oil out of the soap.

Could you make a small batch as a test? Maybe a one pound batch without fragrance.

You know I just used silicone muffin liners in CP cupcake soaps I made this weekend.. and wasn't thrilled with how they came out. The sides ended up still being soft and sticky after a couple of days. Definitely, use sodium lactate if you end up going that route.

I too wondered if it was possible to use these disposable liners instead. I think regular ones are just parchment paper without any sort of coating. (literally just paper) The only thing I would be concerned with, is that an uncoated paper might draw water or oil out of the soap.

Could you make a small batch as a test? Maybe a one pound batch without fragrance.
I dont see why it wouldnt work I'm just concerned about the soap sticking to the paper

I doubt it - I'm going by observations made when I clean soap bowls with paper towels. They absorb the water from the soap. After sitting overnight waiting to be disposed, I find the soap does tend to stick.

Do you have any milk cartons, small yogurt cups or other plastic containers with a 2 or 5 in the recycle image on the bottom?

I doubt it - I'm going by observations made when I clean soap bowls with paper towels. They absorb the water from the soap. After sitting overnight waiting to be disposed, I find the soap does tend to stick.

Do you have any milk cartons, small yogurt cups or other plastic containers with a 2 or 5 in the recycle image on the bottom?
No, I did but my recycling was picked up on friday

Yeah, I think the soap will stick to the paper. Do you have any Tupperware containers you've lost the lids too, floating around?

If you don't want to ruin a Tupperware container with soap, pick one that is in a good shape (or a loaf pan) and line it with a zip lock bag. If you are going to use an aluminum container, I would use 2 ziplock bags.

Unless, they are made of Stainless Steel or silicone, I wouldn't because pouring soap into any mold can be messy, and any spills with active lye still in it (CP soap batter) will react with the metal.

Also, as others mentioned, the cupcake paper is not coated like Freezer paper and the soap batter will be absorbed and surely contaminate your muffin tins, causing a reaction with the metal.

Re: your concern about the paper sticking to the soap: I have used parchment paper (which I think the cupcake papers are made of, but not sure) and it usually comes off okay, but if you use a colored or patterned parchment paper, the colors and the pattern become embedded onto the surface of the soap. That happened to me when I used parchment paper with a colored pattern design. It looked sort of dirty, not pretty at all.

Paper cupcake liners stick like a son of a gun. Ask me how I know..... However, they do make parchment cupcake liners and those worked pretty good. I now use silicone liners. Easy to unmold.

I think my cupcake liners are just plain paper, not parchment. Soap will stick to plain paper. Thin silicone liners can be bought at the dollar store and that worked perfectly for me.

Sorry, Shunt, we wrote at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not use goat's milk but I have made shaving soap and regular soap with a regular muffin tin and cupcake liners.. There was no sticking so maybe I used a different brand of cupcake liners??

There's definitely degrees of quality in cupcake liners. If he has the expensive ones that seem to be coated or waxed - it might work. But the typical grocery store ones that are thin parchment paper in pastel colors I really doubt would work.

I make a HP Chocolate Mint Soap using Goat's Milk which is popular with friends & family. I've used small plastic molds (Cesar Savory Delights) which a friend saves for me. These work well for small nicely shaped bars. I, too, think paper would stick to the soap but you might try a small batch - experimentation is always fun!

Back