Soap Making Reaction

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blake.means

Reaction score
I have been making soap samples this past week and I've been making it with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil. After I get it to trace, I pour it into my molds (with a sheet of plastic on top to prevent soda ash build-up) and let it set for at least three days. They turn out really nice with a nice smooth touch to it. Then about 4 days later, it appears as if there's some kind of change to the texture of the soap -- it's as if soda ash forms within the soap itself. It turns white with a slight rough texture. I've tried to wipe it off with a damp cloth, but it doesn't come off. I even got a potato peeler once and sliced off a piece of soap and there was a layer of this white build-up within the soap itself. When I make soap with just olive oil (without the tea tree oil) this build up does NOT happen. I'm thinking that it's just part of the curing stage when the tea tree oil is added during trace; or it could just simply be the cold weather. Does anyone have any experience with tea tree oil soaps? if so, is there anything that can be done in order to prevent this layerd build-up?

x

hi there!

i'm no expert, but i have made some lavender/TTO soaps before and it is most likely the TTO reacting. i would make sure that it is PURE TTO from a reliable source.

i would then use .5-.7 oz ppo and either add it to your oils before adding the lye/water, or take out an oz or 2 of your batch oils and add the TTO and then add it at trace.

I have made a few batches of soap with TTO and have not had that same problem. Not sure why it would be doing that. Although, you haven't seemed to have trouble with the olive oil, I know that it is better to use grade A olive oil rather than extra virgin.

Latest posts

Back