Soap Making for Small Space Living Situations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you would explain exactly what your concerns are for soaping in a small space, we could help more. Is it storage or simply the process?

I made soap on a counter that was 18 x 24 inches that I had to remove the toaster and coffeepot from first. Storage of ingredients and equipment was two totes in the bottom of a closet. Not large totes, either. Curing soap was stored behind the TV, on top of the entertainment center, and on top of the one cabinet in the kitchen.

Small batches help a lot. Only using oils that you can find at a grocery store and can maybe also use for cooking also help. There are ways to cope. Someone on this forum has exactly the answer you are looking for, but you have to be more specific in your concerns.

I am not in any way trying to steer you away from M&P. But I sort of get the feeling that you already have the bug to make CP. So, ask your questions now so you can have a plan.

My biggest concern is using lye in a small, poorly ventilated space, and having enough space to actually be mixing my batches.

Storage will be a challenge, but I think it will be easier to find a creative way to store things, because you have to in a small space, ha! I like that idea of researching and using ingredients that I might also be using anyways.

I appreciate your suggestions so much! Thank you!

My biggest concern is using lye in a small, poorly ventilated space, and having enough space to actually be mixing my batches.

Storage will be a challenge, but I think it will be easier to find a creative way to store things, because you have to in a small space, ha! I like that idea of researching and using ingredients that I might also be using anyways.

I appreciate your suggestions so much! Thank you!
Open a window or step in the hallway. The worst of it comes when actually mixing the lye up but once the lye is fully dissolved, the irritating gases emitted cease. I have found it dissipates faster when you have the window open with a fan going.

In truth, you should be more concerned with FOs/EOs should you use them. Both can induce headaches at the least and can linger way longer that NaOH gases.

Open a window or step in the hallway. The worst of it comes when actually mixing the lye up but once the lye is fully dissolved, the irritating gases emitted cease. I have found it dissipates faster when you have the window open with a fan going.

In truth, you should be more concerned with FOs/EOs should you use them. Both can induce headaches at the least and can linger way longer that NaOH gases.

^^^This!

We were on the first floor (ground floor), so I opened the door and mixed right outside with me standing 3 feet away. We had no vent hood over the stove, or I would have used that. I have even just mixed and stirred at arm's length with my head turned. It just takes a few seconds for the fumes to die down.

Agree with the others, having made soap in tight spaces. If you have the space to make a cup of tea, you have the space to make soap!

For the lye: if you have a vent hood, that works well. If not, but you have a window/door that you can open, that works well too. If not, then just don't breathe into the fumes in the first 10 seconds after mixing the lye, then cover it loosely and you'll be fine. (Some people wear face masks, I did at the very first too. Now I think it is an overkill and more distracting than helpful, but if it helps, and you have one, then you can also try that.) Working with lye may sound dangerous at first, and people who are new (including past me) tend to make a big fuss about it, but as long as one is careful it is really not really a big deal.

You really don't need too many things for your first batch, so if you would like to do it, just go for it! Then you can see whether it's worth it, or whether there are some specific space-related issues you need to address.

I lived in a 500sf efficiency for over 2 years and I baked bread, made CP soap, and made crib-sized quilts for gifts. You can really do anything you set your mind to do.
If you have sensitive skin, you probably won't need the fragrances or colors to start. Keep it simple. Check out Soaping101's YouTube video for making Bastile soap. If you're not allergic to coconut oil, hers is easy, and will cure in 6 to 8 weeks.
Her tips are also for making soaping economical for beginners who are just wanting to see if soaping is for them. Finding molds from stuff already in the cupboards, oils you already have or can find at your local grocery store, and some videos show you how to use fruits and spices to color your soaps without spending a fortune!
I can tell you that I've got lupus and I won't risk my skin getting irritated by something that costs $20 when I've got turmeric and smoked paprika in my cabinets that give a beautiful golden color to my soaps, and raw honey from Costco that gets me gorgeous suds in my hard water state of Texas without spending an extra dime.
Don't let other's opinions limit your horizons. Inspiration is everywhere. Welcome to the world of soap. đź’ť

Latest posts

Back