Soap Making for Small Space Living Situations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aqua_artist

Reaction score
Hi! I live in the city, in a one bedroom condo with my boyfriend We have about 600 square feet and my kitchen is a tiny galley style, with poor ventilation and no windows nearby. I started researching soap making because I am sensitive to a lot of commercial soaps/harsh fragrances and wanted to explore making my own products.

The size of my space makes me feel like I am going to be limited to melt and pour. I get a strong impression that a lot of people view M&P as not "real" soap making, and I know it is going to seriously limit the ingredients I can manipulate.

I am looking for some insight and different perspectives on soap making in small spaces, because I am starting to wonder if it is even worth trying? If I should wait until my living circumstances change?

I lived in an efficiency apartment for a spell. The kitchen was so small that the fridge would have taken up the standing space I had. I was able to make soap in that space but be warned, you would want to air your place out if you wanted to use FOs. Anywho, if you can stand outside the apartment or open a window, you can mix your lye solution up there. Keep in mind, you will want a deep, type 2 or 5 plastic pitcher to better safeguard against lye splashing. You're also probably better off using cavity molds for a while. It will keep the clutter down. If you must have a loaf mold, invest in two small ones, 4x4 inch ones if you can find.

If you feel inclined, there is nothing wrong with using M&P. The skill set is different but there are some things you can only do with M&P.

I made soap in a 1 bedroom apartment with a tiny galley kitchen. I didn't make much of it, and only twice, but I made it.

Having said that, however, if what you can do is M&P, then make M&P. You do you. Don't let the "purists" drag you down.

I will say, however, as someone with extremely sensitive skin, I shied away from M&P just because I couldn't control the ingredients in it. But if you can find a soap base without a bunch of synthetic detergents in it, go for it.

If it's something you want to do, go for it. I live in a fifth wheel currently and I completely understand the pain of cooking and making cold process soap with a tiny kitchen. Obviously not ideal but doable if you really want to.

Key thing for me is I made some dedicated space for storing my soap making supplies and a small curing rack to utilize vertical space. I only have a few moulds and try to get nesting/stacking items.

I don't know how much storage you have but if counter space is an issue maybe you could buy a small folding table that can be tucked away somewhere when not in use?

Having raised 3 kids in 700sf I understand (I stacked them up like cord wood). If you get a good MP base you are probably better off. Once you make the soap you will have to find a place for it to cure. There are nice bases out there just do your homework.

Anything is doable. When I had my 36' boat I could cook a full Thanksgiving dinner in my small galley. If I still had my boat I guarantee I could make soap in my galley. Not saying it would be as easy as having a lot of room but when one wants to do something you figure out a way. I had a couple of soapmaker friends in condo's with smallish kitchens that made soap and managed just fine.

Our opinion about melt and pour doesn’t matter. Do you think it’s real soap making? Are you interested in it? Then try it.

If its cold process you’re interested in, then go with that.

I personally wouldn’t encourage you to wait, instead find a way to clever way store things. Lye has to get the top storage area though, for safety reasons.

Bowls, buckets, tools, can be stored in your car. Or a friend’s place, or on a balcony. The oils and fats will probably have to be purchased in small quantities, but that’s how we often suggest it for newbies, as your first batches should be 1 pound.

Fragrance oils will be in small 1, 2, or 4 ounce bottles as a beginner. Choose your colors well, stick to trusted brands and pick your favorite colors and you won’t need to have 20 of them. They are mixable for new shades!

Life’s too short. If you’re interested now, go for it. We can help you limit the oils, fats, butters you’ll need if you tell us what what you’re interested in, and will help you formulate a recipe.

Hi! I live in the city, in a one bedroom condo with my boyfriend We have about 600 square feet and my kitchen is a tiny galley style, with poor ventilation and no windows nearby. I started researching soap making because I am sensitive to a lot of commercial soaps/harsh fragrances and wanted to explore making my own products. The size of my space makes me feel like I am going to be limited to melt and pour.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

I get a strong impression that a lot of people view M&P as not "real" soap making, and I know it is going to seriously limit the ingredients I can manipulate.

And Stamped Cross Stitch isn't 'real' Cross Stitch and Loom Knitting isn't real Knitting. Soap is soap...end of story.

I am looking for some insight and different perspectives on soap making in small spaces, because I am starting to wonder if it is even worth trying? If I should wait until my living circumstances change?

You have lots of options. You don't need to make 100lbs of soap, a small 1lb mold will yield 4 nice sized bars. Even a 2lb won't take up much storage room. BrambleBerry has 'quick mixes' you can buy in three sizes (33oz, 54oz, 35lbs); these are premixed oils, just pour the amount you need for your size mold and mix with your lye solution, add colorants and scents and pour into your mold.

If you mix your lye with frozen distilled water, you won't have the fumes that you would room temp water; some folks use a combination of frozen and refrigerated distilled water. And you can always step out to your porch or balcony and mix it and let it sit for an hour to cool down. Just make sure to keep it out of reach of people and pets.

So if you go with a 'quick mix' all you need is container to mix a small amount of lye solution, a bowl that hold 4 to 6 quarts, a spatula and whisk (all the preceding can be found at the Dollar Store), a stick blender and a scale (Amazon) and a mold. And while you're at the Dollar Store, get a file box size container to store all your soaping stuff in.

Scents and colorants can be purchased in small amounts.

ETA: I just spent another $50 at BB and it's all your fault! I was looking up info for you and they are having a huge clearance sale.

Last edited:

And Stamped Cross Stitch isn't 'real' Cross Stitch and Loom Knitting isn't real Knitting. Soap is soap...end of story.

You have lots of options. You don't need to make 100lbs of soap, a small 1lb mold will yield 4 nice sized bars. Even a 2lb won't take up much storage room. BrambleBerry has 'quick mixes' you can buy in three sizes (33oz, 54oz, 35lbs); these are premixed oils, just pour the amount you need for your size mold and mix with your lye solution, add colorants and scents and pour into your mold.

If you mix your lye with frozen distilled water, you won't have the fumes that you would room temp water; some folks use a combination of frozen and refrigerated distilled water. And you can always step out to your porch or balcony and mix it and let it sit for an hour to cool down. Just make sure to keep it out of reach of people and pets.

So if you go with a 'quick mix' all you need is container to mix a small amount of lye solution, a bowl that hold 4 to 6 quarts, a spatula and whisk (all the preceding can be found at the Dollar Store), a stick blender and a scale (Amazon) and a mold. And while you're at the Dollar Store, get a file box size container to store all your soaping stuff in.

ETA: I just spent another $50 at BB and it's all your fault! I was looking up info for you and they are having a huge clearance sale.
I need to keep my money and BB is selling their Bay Rum. I've wanted to try that but I can't justify buying it.

Sure you can...it's on sale! :)
I know what you mean but I've been trying not to place too many orders if it means it needs to ship from anywhere west of Nurture Soaps' location. NYC boroughs alone got hit pretty hard from this COVID-19 issue and some in my family are extra paranoid about catching this virus and understandably so. Been trying to save a bit since food is going to be a real issue for a while and I want to lend support where I can.

This^^^

Well said, @TheGecko !:thumbs:

Keep us posted on what you decide. Besides the kitchen, is another room an option? My new house still has no kitchen and I've made several batches using my trusty hotplate and a tall camping table as a countertop. I too have sensitive skin and wish I would've started cold process soaping decades ago -- I would've saved a fortune on prescription creams and every known name brand lotion.

Both melt and pour and cold process soaping are creative outlets, cold process also engages my science brain as well. Good luck!

I know what you mean but I've been trying not to place too many orders if it means it needs to ship from anywhere west of Nurture Soaps' location. NYC boroughs alone got hit pretty hard from this COVID-19 issue and some in my family are extra paranoid about catching this virus and understandably so. Been trying to save a bit since food is going to be a real issue for a while and I want to lend support where I can.

I have a process for anything that comes into my house. It goes into the garage first. Wash hands, fresh gloves. Everything is sorted...if it needs to be taken of care (frig or freezer) or is needed (meds), it get sprayed with alcohol and wiped down and put away. Everything is left in the garage for a week. I do my best to limit our exposure because hubby is high risk, but it's hard to totally eliminate without a pre-sanitized living space and total lockdown.

Hey @aqua_artist first up M&P is a totally legit form of soap making. Lots of cool, creative and amazing things art possible, and you may even want to consider using M&P and CP together in one creation too (tip: use low sweat M&P).

Do you have an exhaust fan above your stove? You can use that to help with ventilation. That's what I do. While adding and stirring in the lye I always keep the lye/water container at arms length and under the exhaust fan. After a few stirs to dissolve the lye, I walk away and let it do it's thing.

I think your biggest challenge might end up being curing space, especially if you get the bug. I wouldn't let any of it hold you back though. Go forth and create, and like @Zing said, keep us posted; then we can cheer you on :)

I need to keep my money and BB is selling their Bay Rum. I've wanted to try that but I can't justify buying it.
I can make that simple. I refuse to ever buy from them again after the mess I recently had with them. Of course, I had quit with them several yrs ago and they just reinforced why I quit using them. I had to good sellers fragrances from them that will no longer be stocked. Sorry, they strayed a tad off-topic.

My daughter used to create gorgeous m&p and sell literally tons of m&p. There is nothing wrong with it and there are very nice acceptable m&p bases that are now soap bases. It has changed considerably in the past several years.

Thank you all so much for your insights and advice! You have been so helpful! I think I am going to try some M&P first since I am so eager and excited to try soap making, and hopefully transition to CP once I can work out the logistics with my space. Thank you again!

I live in a small one-bedroom apartment and I make my soap in small batches in my tiny kitchen. For me the key is making sure all dishes and anything cooking related is out of the way so i have my counter space. I master batch 3-4 sets of oil and my lye water solution at time and then when im ready i do two batches at a time, 24 to 48 hours later i fo the next two etc. it gives me time to clean on between.

I have lived in 475 sq ft with my late husband and cat—now just me and a cat.
i make 3 lb batches normally, but regularly. I cure them on trays on the top of tall Ikea Billy bookcases in the hallway which comprise my pantry.
it’s totally possible being a soap maker in a small space.
If you want to make M&p, do it! If you want to make cp? Do it! It’s fun and useful and productive and creative. We need that creativity under stress. It focuses and engages our minds and emboldens us in times of crisis.

Latest posts

Back