Soap Is Not Moisturizing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister and her husband went camping and kayaking in the Boundary Waters, where you have to pack out everything you take in, use only certain kinds of soap, and bury your scat.

My sister tells a great story of her husband's first bath in the lake. She had inadvertently bought Dr. B's Peppermint. One minute he was happily splashing about in the water, the next he was leaping about screaming like a lunatic, scaring wildlife for miles around. Yep, you guessed it, Dr. B on the P.

He still winces and crosses his legs whenever my sister tells the story.

I personally find Dr. B INCREDIBLY stripping and uncomfortable to use. Since before I knew this I happened on a great SALE, I have quite a few bottles that are now toilet soap, sink soap, man-hand (but not naughty bits) soap.

The Blog "Oh The Things We Will Make" has a Dr. B copy recipe, and she ALSO has a true castile liquid soap (meaning 100% olive oil). I have made this true castile and I do not find it drying like the Dr. B. So - while soap may not be considered moisturizing from a purist standpoint, it can strip the living daylights out of your skin - or not! Which is why I try to limit the CO i use in my soaps!

Going way back to your original post - I strongly feel that we should not be scolding when somebody asks about moisturizing soap, because soap and "soap" (such as Dove) are frequently advertised this way. I would say here that generally speaking, people don't scold but they can be very factual and come off as a bit brusque.

People want to make "lye free soap" - melt and pour soap used lye in its manufacture just like CP. But it's advertised by ill-informed (or dishonest) sellers as being "lye free" unlike that bad ol' soap over there made with LYE! So sometimes forum members can feel kind of defensive about it.

I would say to all veteran board members - if you feel exasperated by seeing the same questions from newbies, just step away from the keyboard! We may have gone over it 3 days ago, but they just joined 2 days ago! I've had a few times when I had a thought of, "Not this AGAIN!" and made myself leave that thread.

Well Said! @dixiedragon

I am 10,000,000% sure I have asked many a question that have caused folks to roll their eyes, and I appreciate the patience that most have shown me!

I also think as our knowledge expands and morphs our views change. Look back at when ads for menthol cigarettes featured doctors saying "good for a sore throat"!!!

Who knows what will be discovered tomorrow?

I had similar results. As I stepped dn the cleansing valued ....
Even when I got to 0 I still needed moisterizer but later. Im intetested to know ur results for C5 and C0. Please share when they r ready.
Im currently soaping at C7 myself.
Just started showering my version of the @Zany_in_CO zoap (C-O) although I’m not crazy bout the low lather and oleic gel, my skin felt amazing after. My hands were SO soft. Im going to give this recipie some more thought.

Btrw...I was an Italian grease bkt until accutane and then later when I entered my 50s when my skin totally dried

I definitely will share, Paisano! :)
My skin got much drier in my 50s, but then seemed to come back toward the middle, as if rebalancing itself, so I hope that you will have the same occurrence.

My C-0 is based on Zany's castille, but only 48% olive since so many here say they don't like castille, and others find OO drying. I've been afraid of making something that I might not like, so finally decided to "split the difference," so to speak. I did use the faux seawater, and I'm pretty excited to test this out in a couple weeks, during the cure. I'll get to test the C-5 sooner, probably by next Friday, but it too will be in mid-cure.

There is a definite disconnect between soap making and cosmetics. I’ve also seen it first hand and agree that the moisturizing properties of soap are much different from the moisturizing properties of creams and lotions. It’s like comparing apples to oranges, they’re so different but both good for you in the end. Soap cleanses the skin, but there are definitely varying levels. A 100% coconut soap would wreck skin, but adding a 20%super fat wouldn’t be so bad. I love soap making but also love lotion. I use soap to cleanse, but choose a balanced bar that doesn’t strip the moisture from my skin. Then I apply lotion to keep my skin soft. Obvious, I know... But still an obvious contradiction.

I finally got my copy of Catherine Failor's book on liquid soap, and I laughed out loud when I read on the cover:

"Moisturizing Hand Soaps"

SMILE!

THAT is exactly why I posted this thread topic. Almost all the physical books I’ve read on soaping mention “moisturizing” soaps. . . But, as seen here, there is no definitive proof of it being moisturizing, just lots of opinions and speculation based on other factors.

THAT is exactly why I posted this thread topic. Almost all the physical books I’ve read on soaping mention “moisturizing” soaps.
I thought it particularly amusing as she seems to be a legend in the soap making world!

My Mom always said "in any given room there are probably as many opinions as mouths" How true!

How did we go from moisturizing soap to peppermint p3n!s? Someone needs to steer this bus out of the gutter!
upload_2019-3-8_19-2-39.jpeg
Seriously, Im reconsidering the “conditioning” property on account how soft my skin feels after washing with AO/CB soap. I always considered HO filler but now I’m having second thoughts. I think I may be returning to the lab...
upload_2019-3-8_19-10-0.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone can get us out, Sandra Bullock can! :D Nice gloves ya got there, Dean. Perks up the lab ensemble.:rolleyes:

Thx Zany. Who says soaping can’t be glamorous?

Ur zea water has my head spinning. I think the next batch of my stnd recipe will significantly drop the SW, increase the AO and use zea water to make it hard and glossy.

Was researching beer soap recipes and then stumbled upon this:
IMG_4201.JPG

lol The debate is never ending! But really, I’m over it. Moisturizing or not, I love making soap and don’t even really care if it’s moisturizing or not. In fact, I get severely grossed out at greasy, slimy or wet products on my skin. I don’t use lotions, body wash, liquid soaps (with the exception of Dr B on a hot summer day). Heck, I can barley stand using liquid shampoo and conditioner. Which bring me to the next thing I need to research.... Shampoo bars!

Was researching beer soap recipes and then stumbled upon this:View attachment 37343

lol The debate is never ending! But really, I’m over it. Moisturizing or not, I love making soap and don’t even really care if it’s moisturizing or not. In fact, I get severely grossed out at greasy, slimy or wet products on my skin. I don’t use lotions, body wash, liquid soaps (with the exception of Dr B on a hot summer day). Heck, I can barley stand using liquid shampoo and conditioner. Which bring me to the next thing I need to research.... Shampoo bars!
Well he (she) is a doctor so he/she would know! ;)

Was researching beer soap recipes and then stumbled upon this:View attachment 37343

yeah the debate will never end//that's gonna happen any time people have passions

Latest posts

Back