Soap fail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamansavon

Reaction score
I used some hot processed soap I made about 4 weeks ago and it's got gross slimely strings coming off it when I use it.
šŸ˜”
It's coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil and water.
I didn't enjoy making it at the time either.
Oh well. I hope the other batches (all cold processed and much more pleasant to make) aren't like this bc I've probably got 50 bars!!

Hrm. I've witnessed myself how high-OO soaps can be tricky to make with HP (and rebatching likewise). It is really difficult to recognise the ā€œnow it has lost enough moisture to be hard enough after cooling downā€ moment, and to take it off the stove too early. I had essentially a snotty mess in the pot, that tends to stick to the bottom and burn there.

Soaps with some hard oils at least gel up, to something that, while no fun to scoop into the mould, at least hardens up properly and gives decent bars.
Unfortunately, when you have made the soap already, the best thing you can still do is to be patient and give it a few weeks more of curing time.

Give it a long cure time and it will get better. Just a hint, lard makes a great soap and it isn't expensive. You could do 40% lard, 23% coconut, 7% castor, and 30% OO and have a nice soap. Run it through a soap calculator. Walmart GV shortening with tallow and lard is a good option too.

Back