Soap doesn't smell quite right..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nich5989

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402061614.085700.jpg

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402061963.481585.jpg

Yesterday I made a batch of soap (soap calc attached) and I added citronella java essential oil, lemongrass essential oil and a little vanilla fragrance oil. Batch of soap is about 2lbs and fragrance is about 1-2oz total. My soap smells like the fragrance and smells pretty good but there is a sour smell hint. Is that from the ghee? Will it go away as the soap cures?

I haven't used ghee but I have noticed a sour smell when I use a larger percentage of cream. It's because of the butyric acid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

There are discussions about it. Just search for ghee if you want more info. However, another member comment on it in this thread -->
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=37142

:oops: last year I made a bunch of test batches using both Purity ghee & clarified butter (doing it myself) my 80+ year old neighbor adores this, but it does give off a noticeable odor...on another forum I sent samples to a couple friends there and they agreed that a noticeable sour odor persists no matter how long it cures...you can smell it if you rub your finger on a dry bar, but not noticeable in the shower. I used 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% and all were noticeable...which to me is a soaping "tragedy" because it made a hard and bubbly bar...at 10% it is a pale yellow and at 20% nice sunflower yellow...btw, the ghee had a much stronger odor and darker color than when I used clarified unsalted butter...hth!

The highest percentage she used was 20% and I noticed you used 22.9%. So, I'd say the smell will be noticeable to people who can smell butyric acid. But she did mention it's not noticeable in the shower. I have found this to be true with cream. I can smell it when I sniff the bar but I don't smell it when I use the soap.

That is refreshing! I don't mind the slight hint on the soap bars and was more worried if I would smell gross after using it in the shower. The soap looks nice and I used the citronella and lemongrass to help keep bugs away when I go hiking, so I am hoping that the fragrance will last after a shower and the sour smell does not. I did notice the pure Shea butter I used in the soap has a different oder than I thought, I bought organic unscented pure Shea butter and it smells a lot different from the Shea butter tubs at the Body Shop. I hope the soap keeps the yellow color, I did add a touch of vanilla but I don't think enough to turn brown/black. I read a lot on ghee and it's benefits for the skin, which is why I used it.

I agree. I think your soap looks great. The textured top and ridged cut makes pale solid colors look more interesting, JMO. I'm just guessing but it probably will remain a bit yellow since heartsong mentioned ghee does give some color. I don't know what percentage of vanilla you used but a small percentage may not effect it or just give the yellow a slight tannish cast.

I like unscented shea since it doesn't alter the scent of FOs or EOs especially in lotions and body butters. It looks like the Body Shop uses unrefined shea which does have an odor. Plus it has other ingredients than just shea. The cocoa butter and lanolin could also contribute to the scent.

If you remember, please let us know your opinion of the recipe. :grin:

I agree with Hazel, the soap bars do look lovely. Is there a difference between the ghee and the homemade clarified butter in terms of how the soap ends up feeling? I know that ghee and clarified butter are similar, but I believe that there is a difference as well.

I have tried Ghee, clarified butter, sweet (several different brands) and I could always smell the off sour smell, especially on my hands. Ended up dumping all the batches. Your soaps look great and I am glad it has worked for you

I tried my soap in the shower, the bar smells weird still; however, it does not make my skin smell at all. It has a nice soft lather and I feel clean after a shower. I don't think I will use ghee again but this soap is useable.

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. I'm glad to hear the soap is useable. There probably is a fragrance or blend of EOs which would cover the smell of the ghee. If it makes good soap, it might be worth experimenting to find out. Have you searched for more topics about using ghee? I know there have been discussions of it in the past on this forum.

I've considered using butter. Is the sour smell you guys are talking about like sour milk or more like citrus fruit sour? Do you think there might be certain fragrances that cover it?

Back