Soap Cracking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrysta

Reaction score
Hello!

My last 4 batches of soap have had cracks running down the center. All with different FOs that were all reviewed to soap very well. My soaps are coconut, olive, rice bran, avocado and Shea. No added sugars or milks..I threw this last batch in the fridge quick to cool it. Any ideas on why this is happening?

I use a wood mold and I dont cover it at all. Odd!

TIA!

Hello!

My last 4 batches of soap have had cracks running down the center. All with different FOs that were all reviewed to soap very well. My soaps are coconut, olive, rice bran, avocado and Shea. No added sugars or milks..I threw this last batch in the fridge quick to cool it. Any ideas on why this is happening?

TIA!
Any clays or micas?

ah yes! Forgot to add. I used activated charcoal, yellow vibrance form nuture, Titanium dioxide and Crazy eyes mica from Mad micas...

I've had loaves crack a couple of times and it was always due to over heating in a wood mold. Since it's July/August and you're in Austin, I bet it's pretty darn hot right now! You said you put the last in the fridge quick but did you do that after you saw the crack? I'd suggest you put the next batch into the fridge or freezer as soon as you're done pouring. I have to pay close attention to soap I pour into wood molds in summer so use silicone when I can. Another thought I had is the temp of your lye water and oils when you mix. If possible, try RT. Personally I don't soap at RT because I use PO so soap about 115 F. If you use oils other than palm, try soaping cooler if you aren't already.

I use 45% Palm in my vegan recipe and I soap at room temp, both oils and lye. Once the oils and lye are mixed they will heat up enough. The batter might thicken a little when the lye and other liquids are added but will warm up quickly. In fact, many times my oils are a touch cloudy and I still go with it.

Hello!

What temperature were your ingredients when you were mixing them?
You shouldn't have to put soap in the fridge or freezer.

I was soaping around 85 degrees for both my oils and lye....Luckily I fixed the crack. But still...You think maybe it is wooden mold? I soap also with a 33% lye concentration and 5% superfat

I soap at 110*F and I use a silicone lined wooden mold. Never had cracking. Your oils are all pretty standard and the additives are fine. I am really sorry I don't know why this is happening.

Where do you get your FOs and what are they called?

I've had that happen. I believe it's caused by heat in the center of the soap while the top has cooled.. Reducing the water is supposed to help. Also try insulating your soap with a towel. I haven't had a problem since I started doing that.

What is your exact recipe?

I have had that kind of cracking with 100% CO soap sitting out on the counter, not refrigerated. But rarely with any recipe with a low percentage of CO. I rarely use higher than 15% CO in most recipes. However, at a piping class I took last month (in Texas with Air Conditioning), the recipe for the piping was very high in CO, and even though we soaped completely at room temp & with no refrigeration available, everyone's soap was overheating. Mine & a few others were beginning to crack on top within an hour or so. I pulled out my newly purchased cooling rack (someone's de-stash) and that helped cool them down faster and the cracking stopped. These were not even wooden molds, but the same plastic containers sold in places like Dollar General as drawer organizers.

So I suspect it's the recipe that is the reason for the cracking on top. So sharing it with us, could help confirm or give us another clue.

Latest posts

Back