soap colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreThanBags

Reaction score
I have been making soap for about a year and now I am ready to try colorants in my goat milk soap. I am not sure what would work the best. I was some on Amazon (LIFE OF THE PARTY-Colors. These colors are uniquely formulated to work in melted or liquid soap base; bath salt; bath fizzie; body scrubs; or lotion. Simply add a drop at a time and mix thoroughly until your desired color is achieved. ) I wondered if this would work.

The life of the party ones don't work well in CP. They tend to either morph in color or not show up at all.

For CP Oxides, Ultramarines, CP Stable Micas, Pigments, Lakes, Clays and Herbs/Spices work the best.

Lab colors work fine, but to me they always end up being so messy. :roll: When I reorder I am going back to oxides.

I don't make goat's milk soap (yet), but the CP soaps I have been making, I have coloring with oxides for the most part.

I only use herbs to color my soap and they work perfectly. No morphing in color, no mess (except charcoal!), and all natural, rustic beauty! I think people like to hear that herbs color the soap, too...it's so earthy! Most of the time you get the added benefit (imo) of pretty specks of color, too! You can also, get a huge range of colors with herbs! Here are some resources for your shopping list if you choose herbs!

http://www.soap-body-and-spa.com/herbs-and-botanicals.html

I just did my first ever coloring of soap last night! I used ultramarine violet and ultramarine blue in a coconut milk/olive oil soap. They worked great, though I didn't get the color I was aiming for. Somehow my attempt at dark purple ended up blue, even though I used more violet than blue in the mix. Oh well, it's still a pretty color (ish).

Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding soap colorants. I love and appreciate the soap forum.

Back