Soap Carvers Unite

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahB

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm new to the boards, but I did do a search and didn't really see the following question....

what's a good recipe for making a nice hard soap for carving? I've been trying to get something the consistency of Ivory, but it always seems to soft. What can I use to make it harder?

Thanks gang!

carving soap

welcome!

this sounds soooo intriguing! i know olive oil gets very hard the longer it ages and steric acid is a good hardener. have you tried www.soapcalc.com yet?

you always seem to have to juggle between a good hard soap and one that is to drying.

good luck to you!

monet

A coconut oil, lard and olive oil combo, soaped at a 40% lye solution and adding a bit of stearic acid or bees wax will make it even harder.

Paul

Carving

This sounds intrigueing.This morning I was visualising making some of my own latex molds for hearts maybe and wondering whether to use clay or candle wax for sculture ,but now am thinking may be abatch of soap especially for it.
Does any one know if latex is OK to do molds with.
:eek:

If all you are looking to do is to make a soap for carving (not to wash with), I would make a tallow soap, with no other oils/fats in the mix. That will give you a nice, pure white, hard bar. :)

IrishLass

That sounds way cool ... post some pictures when you get your first carving done :)

roseangel said:
What about a lard salt soap? Would that be hard enough?

I totally agree that such a soap would be very hard indeed, but I'm thinking that the amount of salt that is usually added for a traditional salt bar would make it too crumbly to sculpt with. Lard on it's own gets quite hard after a good cure, though. :)

IrishLass

Latest posts

Back