So sad I am out of lard tonight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraygrl

Reaction score
I wanted to make an avocado soap tonight with a Avocado oil, Avocado puree, Olive, Lard, Coconut, castor, and shea butter. But I just remembered I'm out of lard. I have palm oil, but it just won't be the same LOL! Anyone else ever feel the same way?

I have palm oil, but it just won't be the same LOL! Anyone else ever feel the same way?

I can completely relate. Back when I first tried lard, I did side by side comparisons by making the same formula, one with lard and the other with palm, and the lard came out on top by a landslide. Not that the palm soap was horrible or anything like that, mind you, but the lard soap was soooooo much better.

IrishLass :)

Question about lard. Is it from beef? Pork? What do you do when you bring it home from grocery store? Does it rot?

Lard is from pig. The grocery store stores it in the fridge section so I would too,

I knew you all would understand! :smile: There is just no substitute for lard! I always make my avocado soap with lard, and just wouldn't be the same without it. :p I have to go grocery shopping this morning so you can bet I will be picking up some lard!

Cactus Lilly,

Lard is pig fat. You should be able find lard in the oils section of most any grocery store. I have seen it in one pound tubs, 4 lb tubs, and larger even. It comes fully rendered (ready to use), and imparts wonderful qualities to soap. Give it a try!

I so understand! I make ONE vegan soap, and the rest have LARD as the first ingredient. Me, I was out of castor, and of course the order didn't arrive while I was on break (I teach school and this was our first week back.) So we made our obligatory grocery run last night, and I got up this morning so eager to make soap. HOWEVER WHAT DID I FIND?! but a leak under my kitchen sink! Guess I'll get some oils measured, but it'll be a while longer before I can do more. :( Yes, I'm playing for sympathy!

I am forcing myself to use up the rest of my bucket of Palm, before it gets too old. So the Lard is just sitting on the shelf for now.

My grocery store has lard on the baking aisle by the other oils. The turnover is high enough not to have to worry about spoilage. And incidentally, my grandmother used to buy two 25 lb tins of lard a year, and never had to worry about refrigeration. They were stored in the corner of the utility room. She lived in coastal south Louisiana and refused to have air conditioning running in the house, so it got hot in there.

My grocery store has lard on the baking aisle by the other oils. The turnover is high enough not to have to worry about spoilage.

It's the same where I live, too. I've never seen it in the refrigerated section. It's always down the baking aisle next to all the other oils. The turnover here is also very high.

IrishLass :)

Made my first lard recipe a few weeks ago (a carrot one with red palm for colour) and I love it. Lather is beautiful. Just finished cleaning up after making my second lard batch, with a honey almond FO.

I will make other veggie oil bars for public use, but won't give up on these guys!

I've heard great things about lard, but I have issues rubbing pork products on my body (Jewish). Does beef tallow have the same basic properties? So far I've only made soaps with plant-based oils.

I've heard great things about lard, but I have issues rubbing pork products on my body (Jewish). Does beef tallow have the same basic properties? So far I've only made soaps with plant-based oils.

You may want to check with your rabbi. The ones I talked to(reform) said that eating the pork is the problem, not in using it for soap. The older one said that he would not advise lard be used in lip balms, because of potential ingestion.

When I was Orthodox, I wouldn't have even considered it. However, my Conservative rabbi did say that as long as it's not ingested there's no issue with it. However, it's still just one of those things for me. I also don't really like the idea of having pork in my pantry, though that might sound crazy considering my husband isn't Jewish (he's just not allowed to eat pork at home :lol: )

Ariela,

While Lard and tallow will both impart a creamier lather than all veggie soaps, lard is more conditioning than tallow IMO. I rarely eat pork or beef due to digestive issues, but I don't have a problem washing with them :)

Latest posts

Back