So confused!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cake Baby

Reaction score
I'm trying to make beer soap for the first time. I poured 1000 grams of beer into a pot and boiled it to cook out the alcohol. My recipe calls for 561 grams of beer (im using it instead of water) but it reduced down to 121 grams! Should I add water to the beer to bring it up to 561 grams and just use that? Please help asap, as I'm making this soap right now. thank you!!

Yes, add the difference in (distilled) water.
When I make beer soap, I cook it down to at least half, then reconstitute it with water if I need to to get the proper liquid amount. I add my beer or wine at trace and use distilled water minus the beer/wine amount to mix my lye.

Be prepared for possibly overheating when the lye hits the beer. I'd hold off on insulating to see what it does. Good luck!

judymoody said:
Be prepared for possibly overheating when the lye hits the beer. I'd hold off on insulating to see what it does. Good luck!

I was actually planning on HPing the batch. Do you think that would solve the insulating issue?

When I make beer soap, I just let the beer go flat so it won't foam over when I add the lye. Then, I add the lye right in and let it heat by itself. I haven't ever felt the need to cook out the alcohol. My beer soap has had no ill effects. The sugars in the beer are what I tend to watch out for. Like was already said on here.. beer soaps can tend to over heat like soap with honey in it. HP doesn't seem to have that problem. I make a stout beer bar and a wheat bar. Both have been wildly popular and feel so nice.. especially as a shampoo bar! Good luck!

Leaving beer out to go flat only takes care of the carbonation...boiling it is to remove (burn off?) the alcohol, which can make soap seize in the pot. You can certainly add your lye to flat beer if you can handle the stench :shock:

Alchemy&Ashes said:
Yes, add the difference in (distilled) water.
When I make beer soap, I cook it down to at least half, then reconstitute it with water if I need to to get the proper liquid amount. I add my beer or wine at trace and use distilled water minus the beer/wine amount to mix my lye.

so if I where to add the wine at trace would my soap get the scent of the wine? and if I was HP would I need to cook it down before adding it at trace
I always wanted to try a wine soap (don't tell my friends they think I abuse booze as it is making tinctures and things lol)

Wine doesn't usually leave any scent in soap, unfortunately. I try to add EOs of ingredients that would be found in wine, like Juniper, Orange, etc.
I would still cook it down to add at trace even if you HP it. I would think the alcohol may still be a problem in HP :?:

Latest posts

Back