SMF September 2019 Challenge - Linear Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kiti Williams said:
I use a loaf mold, so do I cut it into cubes then do a horizontal cut?

I think so, based on my experimenting a linear pour will look like "spoon plops" when cut the traditional way no matter how you swirl it. So if you want the bars to have the same swirl, you have to cut the loaf the way you said it.

Kiti Williams and amd, you are both correct; cutting in the traditional manner negates the 'swirl' pattern. Cutting loaf into hunks/chunks/cubes and then turning them on their side and making horizontal cut reveals swirls.

1. szaza - hmmm.. to hp or not to hp?
2. dibbles - I’ll worry about what we can do later. I’m in.
3. MarnieSoapien - This looks like fun!
4. SYT - I'll give it a go!
5. Mobjack Bay - I’m clueless, but I can’t resist!
6. steffamarie - I simply adore swirls like this. Can't wait!
7. Kiti Williams
8. jules92207 - cause what better way to get back into soaping but start a challenge I have no idea how to approach
9. Dawni - I'll be leaving the country before the weekend so I have only a few days to make this. I hope I get time (sigh). I haven't soaped in weeks!
10.Michele50-out of town but brought the tools of the trade with me. This will be my 1st challenge......maybe :confused:

Well, batch #3 is interesting, My mica may be too light to do this challenge. I used the entire packet of the darkest color, it is all over the edges and top, but I got something else when I cut horizontally. I think I will post all 3 batches in one photo, so we can figure out just what is going on.

Question for anyone who knows:
Is this where we will post a photo of the Taiwan Linear swirl for the September Challenge?? I didn't know if there would be a new thread started or if this thread would be the location for posts. While I've consulted this soap forum for multiple years I'm new to being a member so not sure how these things work. Thanks in advance. ;)

upload_2019-9-23_14-4-0.png

This was so much fun to learn - and frustrating at times, too! My first attempt, I just tried to pour really thin lines and then used the chopstick to draw the lines in the opposite direction and then the swirl - HUGE fail! lol I mean, it's still soap, it's lovely, but no one could tell that it was a peacock swirl! Second time, I made a 'comb' and got some squeeze bottles - much closer! 3rd time the goddess of all things soapy were working against me and I ended up with a plopandglop mess - still nice looking and smells ever so good, but not a swirl at all... 4th try, my colors were off, but it was a lovely swirl!

I was never able to get any of my soaps to gel in the slab mold. Used a heating pad and covered it, smeared it. Used CPOP, still no gel. *shrugs* more research is needed!
Here's one that I liked and thought was nice but I loved my peacock feather looking one better...
DSC00001.JPG

@Mobjack Bay - I don't know how you chose which one to post! All of your attempts are just lovely! I agree with you about @dibbles being the queen of feathery swirl, too!
@MarnieSoapien - lovely color combo! Were you able to gel your slab?
All the soaps are so awesome! @Kiti Williams looks so delicate and @Primrose looks like vining flowers to me!

@Deborah Long I finally made up my mind by picking the one that is the least like the others I made. :) It was hard to rule out the one where I used the soap poured from the funnel pitcher to create thin lines within the lines I poured into the slab mold. That’s the one I scented with Cranberry Fig FO. I think it looks pretty close to real marbled paper. The final soap turned out kind of dark, but it’s a technique worth trying again. I think I need to add more light color batter so the thin lines will show up better.

I love the colors of your soap!

Back