SMF November 2023 Challenge - Splash Swirl Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's nice did you put a straw on it to make it thicker or do you just use the thin hanger I actually have some coated wire hangers. 😄
I use a plain coat hanger (coated) and I bought a pack of ten ( not available individually) - three of which have been bent to fit three different molds. I use thenm as-is with no straw or otherwise to make them fatter.

That's nice did you put a straw on it to make it thicker or do you just use the thin hanger I actually have some coated wire hangers. 😄

I use a plain coat hanger (coated) and I bought a pack of ten ( not available individually) - three of which have been bent to fit three different molds. I use thenm as-is with no straw or otherwise to make them fatter.
Same as @KiwiMoose - I don't cover my hanger.

Sorry to be a bug lol. But just to make sure will this hanger work it has a thin coating of rubber on it or does it need to have a thicker coating. Thanks so much! @KiwiMoose and @The_Emerald_Chicken
IMG_20231105_184245.jpg

I use a gear tie that I bought at Walmart. Several you-tubers mentioned using them. First was figuring out what a gear tie is…. It’s a flexible tie that one uses to tie camping and other gear closed or attach to other things. They aren’t expensive and work great. Find them I n the camping section. This is the one I bought.
Nite Ize Gear Tie® Reusable Rubber Twist Tie™ 18 in. - 2 Pack - Neon Yellow
Nite Ize Gear Tie® Reusable Rubber Twist Tie™ 18 in. - 2 Pack - Neon Yellow - Walmart.com

I use a gear tie that I bought at Walmart. Several you-tubers mentioned using them. First was figuring out what a gear tie is…. It’s a flexible tie that one uses to tie camping and other gear closed or attach to other things. They aren’t expensive and work great. Find them I n the camping section. This is the one I bought.
Nite Ize Gear Tie® Reusable Rubber Twist Tie™ 18 in. - 2 Pack - Neon Yellow
Nite Ize Gear Tie® Reusable Rubber Twist Tie™ 18 in. - 2 Pack - Neon Yellow - Walmart.com
Thank you I will check that out next time I go to Walmart.😄

Have been busy playing "catch-up" but hubby will be gone this weekend, so I am hoping to have the time (and personal space) to do some soaping! If I can, I'll sign up. Planning to use a plain ole hanger from the dry cleaners. I can bend it with a tool to fit my mold. Have no ideas yet for colors or fragrance. When is final call for enrollment? :)

Have been busy playing "catch-up" but hubby will be gone this weekend, so I am hoping to have the time (and personal space) to do some soaping! If I can, I'll sign up. Planning to use a plain ole hanger from the dry cleaners. I can bend it with a tool to fit my mold. Have no ideas yet for colors or fragrance. When is final call for enrollment? :)
You can sign up until the entry thread closes on November 26. I hope you have time to give it a try.

Note: all times listed below are Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). It is your responsibility to convert times to your own time zone. You can use World Time Buddy or a similar time converter.

* The entry thread will open on November 20, 2023 by 11:59 PM GMT.
* The entry thread will close on November 26, 2023 at 11:59 PM GMT.
* The voting survey link and password will be emailed to all registered participants shortly thereafter.
* The voting survey will remain open until November 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM GMT, or until all registrants have voted, whichever is sooner.
* The winner will be announced no later than November 30, 2023 by 11:59 PM GMT.

I found a Gear tie at Canadian Tire. They had them at Walmart but they are these new and improved ones that are all twisted like a piece of licorice or rope but I found a nice smooth one at Canadian Tire. I also think I have a plan for my soap but I don't know if it will work hopefully it does.

Sign-up List for SMF November 2023 Challenge: Splash Swirl Technique. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next person:

1.Ford, how did you know? It was on my list. Spooky around here. Woopi...
2. KiwiMoose. Yay! I've always wanted to try this!
3. The_Emerald_Chicken - Splashing back into soaping after a hiatus
4. Tammyfarms - looks like another fun challenge!
5. not_ally - I'm in, I was curious about this one too.

Sign-up List for SMF November 2023 Challenge: Splash Swirl Technique. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next person:

5. not_ally - I'm in, I was curious about this one too.
6. CLMP OK I think I have a plan!

This is not as easy as it looks. I got inspired by the Tree Marie video and decided to do a batch (I made a double sized amount of batter so that I could do another batch with another swirl/design). Right after I mixed the batter my scale conked out and I ran around like a nut for 20 minutes trying to find the replacement one, never found it. It really is true that if you mix the lye water and oil and just leave it alone it'll come to trace by itself!

So the batter was a little less fluid than I would have liked and I had to eyeball everything for both batches. The splash swirl ended up looking like a regular hanger swirl, more swoopy, less vertical, larger amounts than I should have had in the contrast colors, less than I should have had in the base. I actually kind of like it, but it's not a splash swirl.

5. not_ally - I’m in, I was curious about this one too.
7. Karen L. - I love the look of this design.

8. MomInWA - I’m going to give it a go!

8. MomInWA - I’m going to give it a go!
9. Zing -wicky wicky what, Zing is entering? Guess I'm committed now.

I know everyone has a hanger tool preference. I've used both a regular clothes hanger (just the hanger) and gear ties, sometimes both in a 2-loaf session. I much prefer the swirl I get from the gear tie.

I made the challenge soap today. I have never seen or heard of this. I'm glad the one video-er said that she was worried all her colors got muddled together and she did too many swirls. That's what I felt. I'm anxiously waiting to unmold....

I had watched the tutorial for making this soap in the spring and had it on my bucket list to try. Now seeing that it is the November soap challenge makes me want to try it even more!!! It's a busy month so far, but if I can find the time I will definitely enter at that time. If not, I look forward to seeing all of the amazing entries at the end of the month.... ;)

I made my soap with a Gear tie it's done now but the lines aren't as wispy as I was hoping for. The soap still turned out nice but the lines aren't thin and wispy they are thicker lines that kinda look more swirly. It almost turned out the way I wanted it but not quite. So I might try to come up with a new plan and a new soap if I have time and try it with a hanger this time hopefully I can imagine up a new plan lol.

I know everyone has a hanger tool preference. I've used both a regular clothes hanger (just the hanger) and gear ties, sometimes both in a 2-loaf session. I much prefer the swirl I get from the gear tie.

I made the challenge soap today. I have never seen or heard of this. I'm glad the one video-er said that she was worried all her colors got muddled together and she did too many swirls. That's what I felt. I'm anxiously waiting to unmold....
I bet you didn't actually do too many swirls. I felt that way and ended up wishing I'd done more!

Back