SMF May Challenge- Interpretation, not Imitation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of betraying just how awful my taste in reality television is, I'll say this challenge reminds me of the Project Runway challenges where the designers have to run around taking pictures of things and then create a look based on a picture. Should be fun!

1. Sonya-m - no clue where I'm going with this yet but excited to see where I end up!

2. MySoapyHeart. *Puts on safetygear, cracks fingers, stares into camera* Ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille...

3. Penelopejane - I'd really, really like to put up an entry for this challenge. It's colours though so I'm not sure...

4. Navaria- gonna sign up so I can at least vote, time permitting I'll participate. Gonna be crazy this month!

5. maya- I'm with Navaria on this. I will see if I have enough time. But I realllllllllly wanna!

6. LisaAnne I know what I want to do and if I can't pull it off it will one very ugly soap. Which is fine, I make lots of those.

7. dibbles - Dusting off my thinking cap...

8. Steve85569 - No idea but I know I'll make a couple of batches for this ..

9. snappyllama- Am I the only one worried that I'll pick one inspiration picture but my soap will be suited for a different one?

10. KristaY-My creative light bulb needs higher wattage for this one.....

11. mzimm- I'm an idiot with colors, and a kindergartener in technique....sounds like two perfect reasons to join in!

12. doriettefarm - I'm pretty stoked about this challenge after reading the rules and seeing the inspiration pics. There's a technique I've been wanting to try that lends itself perfectly to one of the pics . . . plus I've got all the right colors!

13. Judiraz- It may take all month to figure this out! #13 wasn't good last month...hope I have better luck in May

14. BlackDog - Nothing to be ashamed of, newbie, I have a wookie at my house too

15. Lisajudy2009 - I'm going to try it! :)

1. Sonya-m - no clue where I'm going with this yet but excited to see where I end up!
2. MySoapyHeart. *Puts on safetygear, cracks fingers, stares into camera* Ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille...
3. Penelopejane - I'd really, really like to put up an entry for this challenge. It's colours though so I'm not sure...
4. Navaria- gonna sign up so I can at least vote, time permitting I'll participate. Gonna be crazy this month!
5. maya- I'm with Navaria on this. I will see if I have enough time. But I realllllllllly wanna!
6. LisaAnne I know what I want to do and if I can't pull it off it will one very ugly soap. Which is fine, I make lots of those.
9. snappyllama- Am I the only one worried that I'll pick one inspiration picture but my soap will be suited for a different one?
11. mzimm- I'm an idiot with colors, and a kindergartener in technique....sounds like two perfect reasons to join in!
12. doriettefarm - I'm pretty stoked about this challenge after reading the rules and seeing the inspiration pics. There's a technique I've been wanting to try that lends itself perfectly to one of the pics . . . plus I've got all the right colors!
13. Judiraz- It may take all month to figure this out! #13 wasn't good last month...hope I have better luck in May
14. BlackDog - Nothing to be ashamed of, newbie, I have a wookie at my house too.
15. Lisajudy2009 - I'm going to try it! :)
16. TeresaT - I think I have found my "Pollock" challenge. Yay, me!!!

Last edited:
14. BlackDog - Nothing to be ashamed of, newbie, I have a wookie at my house too.
15. Lisajudy2009 - I'm going to try it!
17. kc1ble - I told myself I would get in on this month's challenge...before I knew what it was Yikes! At least it can be abstract.

17. kc1ble - I told myself I would get in on this month's challenge...before I knew what it was Yikes! At least it can be abstract.
18. SuzieOz - Oh my goodness, did I really just do this ... ????? Bring it on!!

19. BattleGnome - I'm broke but apparently need to order colors

20. MissChief - I wasn't gonna but I can't vote if I don't

21. Lenarenee - fantastic challenge idea!

22. CaraBou - I've never seen a bird I didn't like - Soap, don't fail me now!

Teresa, if you didn't sign up for this one, I was going to come find you myself!!

For those of you for whom this is the first challenge, thank you for signing up! I think you'll find it's more fun than you might anticipate.

Thanks, newbie! I'm excited! I haven't watched the video yet. Part of me doesn't want to, I just want to "interpret" based on the written instructions. However, I'll probably watch it tomorrow at lunchtime.

I was hoping people wouldn't get too grossed out by that. It's a fantastic picture; I wish I could have been there to take it! And it's good for people who don't like tons of bright colors.

Teresa, I used other pictures and soaps for the video. None of the challenge pics are in there so it shouldn't get any ideas stuck in your head.

Sooo...This is the first attempt that I am obviously not going to enter. I was inspired by the last picture of the 4, and it gave me a sort of tropical/jungle vibe. So I was trying to go for a tropical colored soap with some white to break it up a bit. Instead I got... Lego/carnival/Cirkus colored soap.
Yay...
The upside is that I got to try Nurtures Really Red, and it performed exactly as I hoped. The other Nurture colors were Blue Vibrance, Sunshine Yellow & a pinch of Green Neon. Did a CPOP so I could be sure it gelled, because this batter was so easy going it was never going to fully gel on its own.

Scentwise I went for Nurtures Jasmine fragrance, but felt it was too sweet on its own, it needed som zing to match the colors. So I mixed it with Lemograss eo, and wow, it smells so good! Still sweet, but with added freshness that suits the colors much better.

Used 70% lard, and coconut, almond and castor for the rest.

ReallyRed_VibranceBlue_SunshineYellow_NeonGreen.jpg

_ReallyRed_VibranceBlue_SunshineYellow_NeonGreen - resized.jpg

23. mintle - will fly or crash, hehe :)

24. Cathy Gordon - 1st time for everything. Time to fly.

25. jules92207 - love the inspired feel off this challenge - failure or not, I need to soap more anyway!

23. mintle - will fly or crash, hehe
icon_smile.gif

25. jules92207 - love the inspired feel off this challenge - failure or not, I need to soap more anyway!
26. AMD - Feeling a bit bird-brained anyways...

I posted the video of making the scale/feather soap. It took forever to upload. Again, not necessary for the challenge so skip if you'd like. It's over 13 minutes long of pouring....yawn!

I really liked to watch the pour. It is amazing that you don't have to have perfect lines and the soap turns out so beautifully. I am trying to be less controlling.. Thank you!

Back