SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Guspuppy your entry is so delightfully whimsical; there is kokopelli, frolicking on the sand, next to the sea. Definitely the colors went the way they were supposed to go!

I am pretty sure my entry is the one you are referring to. I did not pour the entire portion of each color.
About half the entries have the same issue, and had I been creative enough to consider the possibility, I probably would have done the same. It does make for some beautiful soap, yours included.

Last edited:
To clear up two confusing issues currently in the challenge:

Issue 1: the One Pot pic. I apologize for not stating clearly the expectation for the picture POV. Pictures taken from the side of the pot will be allowed as long as
1) the pot is clear "enough" that the layers can be seen in it and
2) it clearly shows the spot where soap was poured into the pot.
@mommycarlson your entry is good, I will follow up with you with a PM in case you don't see this :)

Issue 2: alternating colors in the one pot is allowed as long as the pours are not short pours. Two entries that were being questioned were @Peachy Clean Soap and @SoapDaddy70 they are being allowed as they are equal to the other color pours in the pot, and are not repeated more than 2x.

Short pours such as this are not in the scope of the OPW technique: (notice that all the colors are repeated multiple times)
1621909981253.png

Why? The OPW objective is to create feathering of the colors between the layers by layering batter in a pouring vessel and using one continuous wall pour. The longer color pours will do that and the feathering would clearly be created by pouring into the mold. Pouring with multiple little layers would feather almost regardless of pour technique just because it wouldn't take much to get the batter in those tiny amounts to do that.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion for what is and isn't a good entry. All entries are good at this time, one entry was removed as disqualified because it followed the ribbon pour technique. If I sent you a message previously and your entry is still in the entry thread, I will follow up as needed with a second message to confirm.

I apologize for all the confusion, being a challenge hostess/coordinator/whatever is always walking a fine line of "did I give enough information or limit their imaginations" and sometimes not seeing the forest for the trees. I appreciate the heck out of everyone's patience!

If you haven't made your challenge soap, there's still time!

I'm not sure if it qualifies at all, do I submit it anyway or can I send it to OP to see if it qualifies first? @amd I feel like I'm just submitting my HW to show my participation. xD But just wanna know what I should do!
If you want to PM me, please do! Especially if my most recent post does not clear up the requirements for you. If it's not a good entry, there is still time to try again, or share it here. I'm actually getting ready to post my lollipop swirl fail .

My non-entries:

The first attempt - batter far too thin.
View attachment 57661

Second attempt, and almost my entry, but the third is a better execution of the vision.
View attachment 57660

Random natural colour soap
View attachment 57662

The original-ish plan, with moon embed. Not quite happy with the colours on this but in any case it doesn't fit the rules. If I was doing it again I'd swirl white and pink together before layering, and try to make the pink much thicker than the rest to get it to make the kind of blobby swirls I got in the second attempt.
View attachment 57663
Love picture 3' awesome 🤗🧼

I don't think it was too thin at all! Beautiful.It's another version of the type of look you can get from OPW. Some of the challenge entries are even thinner than that.
Thanks! It's a different look than some, for sure, but not what I was going for :)
The effect I was trying to get was more like what you can see in the naturally coloured soap between the pink and yellow sections; gradually fading/feathering from one to the next. Ironically that was the only soap that really produced the effect!

@amd
Now Im confused' can you take a look at my entry & let me know if its correct? I poured down the side of the bowl' " Switching Colors "But Poured In Same Spot" after each pour" switching colors in order.
I Didn't Pour "ALL" OF FIRST COLOR" before switching to Second Color & POUR "All" OF SECOND COLOR" Before switching to Third & Final Color and POUR "ALL" OF THIRD COLOR.

Thank you for clarifying' I may make another entry' 💫🧼🤗👍🏼

@amd
Now Im confused' can you take a look at my entry & let me know if its correct? I poured down the side of the bowl' " Switching Colors "But Poured In Same Spot" after each pour" switching colors in order.
I Didn't Pour "ALL" OF FIRST COLOR" before switching to Second Color & POUR "All" OF SECOND COLOR" Before switching to Third & Final Color and POUR "ALL" OF THIRD COLOR.

Thank you for clarifying' I may make another entry' 💫🧼🤗👍🏼
@ Amd Thank you for clarifying.

Appreciate all you have done for this challenge..
It's official! after careful consideration " I'll be Re-Submitting A New "Soap & Picture For Our OPW Challenge"
🧼💫✨🍑.

I have pictures taken. I will be posting my entry later today or tomorrow. I'm recovering from surgery, so it all depends on my energy level. In the meantime, here is a picture of my favorite batch. My pre-pour pot picture didn't clearly show that all colors were poured in the same spot, so I'll use the other batch I made for my entry. The FO is Earth Meets Sky from Nurture, and all colors are from NS as well - Mocha Brown, Maya Gold, Winter White and Sky Blue.
OPW Earth Meets Sky.jpg

I have pictures taken. I will be posting my entry later today or tomorrow. I'm recovering from surgery, so it all depends on my energy level. In the meantime, here is a picture of my favorite batch. My pre-pour pot picture didn't clearly show that all colors were poured in the same spot, so I'll use the other batch I made for my entry. The FO is Earth Meets Sky from Nurture, and all colors are from NS as well - Mocha Brown, Maya Gold, Winter White and Sky Blue.
View attachment 57728
So beautiful Dibbles! So did you and @Mobjack Bay pour with really thin batter to get it to look like that?

So beautiful Dibbles! So did you and @Mobjack Bay pour with really thin batter to get it to look like that?
Thank you. My batter was pretty thin. I split at barely emulsion to color and I let it sit to get to thin trace before pouring. My pouring speed was moderate. Also, I meant to also note that the batter was poured into the bowl at about 1:30-2:00, with 12:00 being the spout.

Working with this darned T&S mold is giving me unexpected challenges. After 20 hours, I pulled yesterday’s batch out of its nest and it was still warm. Like, really warm. That is unusual for me. And it was REALLY soft. Another unusual thing. What I’ve gathered is that it went into gel later than normal, which is why it was still warm. Maybe because it’s skinny?

I was feeling impatient so I cut the bars anyway and they were very squishy. Too squishy. Put them on a silpat over my sprouting mat covered with an overturned styrofoam cooler to get them warm again.

I need to stop doing these challenges. I could swear I said that two or even three months ago. I end up getting obsessed and super frustrated. And I honestly don’t have time or resources. 🤣😂🤦‍♀️

I would have been a one and done had I remembered to take a photo of the pouring vessel pre-pour. But nooooooo.

Please don’t let me participate in the June challenge.

To clarify a question that someone asked in their entry - if you do several pours, essentially a layered technique, that is allowed, but you will need to have the in the pot picture for each pour included in the entry, especially if you do different colors in each layer.

ETA: Reminder: NO COMMENTING in the entry thread. Please keep your comments in the challenge signup thread.

Thank you, I have decided to do a layered pour for my second attempt. I hope it turns out better than my first attempt, which was too gloppy thick by the time it was all in the mold.

Even though this thickened up toward the end, because I am moving so darn slow, at least it had nothing to do with me over SB'ing.

I got both top-down-in-the-pour-pot shots in two different pots, in fact. The first pot I used, I had originally bought to pour the ribbon pour way-back-when (for that challenge) and forgot why I didn't use the pot again. I remembered why this morning when the soap started spilling all out around and over the sides of the very long spout (it's got a long spout sort of like watering can). So my second pour-pot was just a plane measuring cup I normally use for small batches. And I used a different order for the colors in the 2 different layers. I am really looking forward to seeing how this attempt turns out.

This is Interesting, just my 2 cents, when I did this for the Soap challenge club last year, only the last color poured was visible from the top, and what was important then, was to have the colors layered from the side view. But I suppose this sample picture is more of a pour on a mold rather than of the pouring vessel? Either way I look forward to seeing all the entries.

I think it depends more on the vessel type. My entry batch was the usual size (1kg or 2 pounds), and the non-entry was 1.5 kg. In both you can see all the colours easily from the top because i actually used my soap mixing bowl as my pouring bowl ( i.e - poured it all out to mix the colours, cleaned the bowl out and then poured them all back in again). It's a wide bowl so the colours layered beautifully into circles within circles.

I think there are at least 4 factors. Thickness of soap batter; Height of receiving vessel; Narrowness of receiving vessel; and How the receiving vessel is held during the pour (straight up or tilted).

And of course, as @amd said, not all pots are clear, so taking a side shot would not have worked with my tall & thin pot this morning, although it would with the second shorter one because it was clear.

Mine as well. Just barely stable emulsion – if I hadn't put myself into troubles with my stupid false-trace-prone recipe. Half of my last two layers didn't even flow out of the pot but stayed in there 😣 I can't wait until the challenge is over, to try again with a more well-behaving recipe!
My observation was that thin batter will basically bring out all colours at once and give very thin, rhythmical feathering, so it works best with few high-contrast colours. Thicker batter gives more spontaneous-lively “painting” effects, enables large gradients and sketchy, irregular surprises everywhere. Worst of both worlds when one of the colours decides to thicken up too early…

Latest posts

Back