SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your batter/soap appears very opaque. Is it ungelled, or did you add white pigment?
In either case, if the powder refuses to disperse evenly, I can still well imagine this as an “effect addition” to spice up the look of one of the swirl layers.

Attempt 3 doing CPOP... I have a nasty suspicion that it was too thin again though 🤨
I used the narrower jug to pour from, but it was only partly floating on top of the previous colours, and partly going down the side, so I think there will still be more mingling than my design calls for.
I quite like how V2 turned out though, if I wasn't aiming for something specific I'd be very happy with it, so it may yet be my entry if today's one doesn't pan out.

Last edited:
This will be the last time I have to play along at home! Yay!! I do believe I’ve hit the magical number of 50 posts. 👍🏼 (ETA: I guess I haven’t.....ok, maybe by next month,,,,,,)

This was my first time doing this pour, and I’m pretty goshdarn excited with how it turned out! It’s colored with brown oxide, yellow oxide (which for some reason is tan.....I used some that I’d dispersed in oil a while ago....but it did work well for the spectrum I ended up using), green chrome oxide, yellow Brazilian clay, and TiO2. All the colors were added at a light amount because I wanted them to be muted. It did go through gel.

Please excuse the white specks......I bought some kaolin clay to add and tried to add it dry straight to my batter.....giant “duh“ on my part to not make a slurry first.....and then I was too scared to try to SB it in fully. Oh well, I learn something with every batch.

For scent I used a FO called Hemp and mixed in a little patchouli EO.....it’s quite strong, LOL!
5419A98B-83BD-46E7-893D-7F3414414E00.jpeg
F00F9845-7966-4154-9810-AFEA5C2A1C93.jpeg

Last edited:
i made my second attempt tonight, everything was going well and then... I poured too early. I should have just stopped when I poured in the second color but no, I kept going. Big muddy fiasco. Sigh.
I did make a new and improved tall and skinny mold out of some yard signs I got at my town’s transfer station, so that was a win.
04BFF291-054C-4314-ADF7-A2A65B387299.jpeg

I have the size of the pouring pot under suspicion to have a marked impact on the degree of mixing of the colours.
If it has the volume to just hold the whole soap batter, colours flow out largely one by one, and when it's a lot too large, then the colours come out a lot more intermixed.

Is this pure dry-run imagination, or does this agree with your experiences?
I used a beer Pitcher for my container because it had a good spout and it worked better than a measuring cup did.

Im Old School D&D. The
original founder (Dave Arneson) used to play with my brother and me in our basement. Everything was written in a 3 ring binder. Theres a film out called secrets of blackmoor. My brother and friends and dave are on the cover image.
That’s amazing!! What a small world!

...I did make a new and improved tall and skinny mold out of some yard signs I got at my town’s transfer station, so that was a win.
After the last election, I collected some of the yard signs to use for dividers in my molds and to prop up my mold at an angle. They really come in handy and they hold up very well.

Please excuse the white specks......I bought some kaolin clay to add and tried to add it dry straight to my batter.....giant “duh“ on my part to not make a slurry first.....and then I was too scared to try to SB it in fully. Oh well, I learn something with every batch.

Those specks look like stars. I love it!!

I too forgot to take a picture of the colors in the bowl 😓 Guilty of not reading the entire directions! View attachment 57147I don’t know if I will be able to try again as my son is graduating college and my daughter is getting married all in the next few weeks. I was pretty happy with it.
The soap is beautiful, Jersey Girl.

I too forgot to take a picture of the colors in the bowl 😓 Guilty of not reading the entire directions! View attachment 57147I don’t know if I will be able to try again as my son is graduating college and my daughter is getting married all in the next few weeks. I was pretty happy with it.
Congratulations! Wonderful milestones ❤️

This will be the last time I have to play along at home! Yay!! I do believe I’ve hit the magical number of 50 posts. 👍🏼 (ETA: I guess I haven’t.....ok, maybe by next month,,,,,,)

This was my first time doing this pour, and I’m pretty goshdarn excited with how it turned out! It’s colored with brown oxide, yellow oxide (which for some reason is tan.....I used some that I’d dispersed in oil a while ago....but it did work well for the spectrum I ended up using), green chrome oxide, yellow Brazilian clay, and TiO2. All the colors were added at a light amount because I wanted them to be muted. It did go through gel.

For scent I used a FO called Hemp and mixed in a little patchouli EO.....it’s quite strong, LOL!View attachment 57133View attachment 57134
The color scheme goes so well with your fragrance, this turned out very nice!

i made my second attempt tonight, everything was going well and then... I poured too early. I should have just stopped when I poured in the second color but no, I kept going. Big muddy fiasco. Sigh.
I did make a new and improved tall and skinny mold out of some yard signs I got at my town’s transfer station, so that was a win.
View attachment 57139
This is very ingenious, did you get any batter go up he cavities (holes) by chance?

My one and only attempt at the OPW is in the oven CPOPing. I almost forgot to take a pic of the batter in the bowl but I thought of it just in time. Hope no points are deducted for the mess of my counter!!
I've never tried this technique before so I hope the batter was ok... I like the feathered look so either way hoping its fine. The batter was great and fluid throughout although I may have poured a little too fast - it seemed I only had 1 speed and that was rather quick. I am cautiously optimistic!

This is very ingenious, did you get any batter go up he cavities (holes) by chance?
You know, I am not sure about that as it is not solid enough to come out yet. A little maybe leaked but it seemed to work pretty well. My impatience was the problem I’m afraid.
Someone else had posted about political yard signs being great soap mold / divider material and they are right!

Back