SMF February 2020 challenge - Ione swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Mobjack Bay- totally looking forward to this one!
2. AliOop
3. Pepsi Girl
4. MarnieSoapien - New swirls!!
5. dibbles - Love a hanger swirl!
6. Cellador- I'll give it a try....wheeeee!
7. szaza - count me in!
8. Nona'sFarm
9. Kosmerta- I am very excited for this challenge!
10. Kcryss - Can't wait to try this!
11. BattleGnome - I’m almost out of CP! Need to make a bunch before I run out
12. neonstudy
13. amd
14. bookreader451 - I stink at hanger swirls so I can't wait for an advanced technique LOL

Ok, tried my first hanger swirl last night. Did not work at all. The hanger went right through the color but did not move it. You can even see where the hanger went through. What did I do wrong? HP, 3:1 lye concentration, yogurt, clay added after cook.

upload_2020-2-5_7-32-34.png

You can even see where the hanger went through.
If I had to guess... I would say the HP was too thick and the hanger tool too thin. I wonder if for HP you'll need a bit thicker tool than CP will need? I don't do HP this is a guessing on my part. (Truly I'm impressed with this one, my few lame attempts at HP look more like a bad Rohrschach test.)

If I had to guess... I would say the HP was too thick and the hanger tool too thin. I wonder if for HP you'll need a bit thicker tool than CP will need? I don't do HP this is a guessing on my part. (Truly I'm impressed with this one, my few lame attempts at HP look more like a bad Rohrschach test.)

Thanks @amd! I consider that high praise indeed coming from such an experienced soaper! :)
This batch was about as fluid as I can get it without causing other issues, so maybe I can find something thicker to use for swirls.

I think Rohrschach pics are kinda cool! :)

@Kcryss not bad at all for a first HP hanger swirl!!
I think your batter needs to be a bit more fluid.. what was your lye concentration? For HP I usually start with 2:1 and add another part of water after cook (after the yoghurt), so in total I have a water:lye ratio of 3:1. Clays can also make HP batter a bit thicker if you don't add a bit of extra water.
On the size of the hanger: I used a bamboo skewer wrapped in plastic covered steel thread to do HP hanger swirls (the 3 times that I tried). The steel thread was mainly to make handles. It was quite thin and worked well. I think I once tried a chopstick on HP and it was way too thick.

Edit: woops, didn't see you already replied.. maybe find something in between what you have and a chopstick?

I haven't signed up, not sure if I will this time, but I did run my hanger through today's random batch just to see what would happen. It was pretty runny, though. And! I forgot to add the other color until I had already swirled, so... We'll see...

@Kcryss not bad at all for a first HP hanger swirl!!
I think your batter needs to be a bit more fluid.. what was your lye concentration? For HP I usually start with 2:1 and add another part of water after cook (after the yoghurt), so in total I have a water:lye ratio of 3:1. Clays can also make HP batter a bit thicker if you don't add a bit of extra water.

Edit: woops, didn't see you already replied.. maybe find something in between what you have and a chopstick?
@szaza Thanks for the compliment! To get praise like this from you I feel I am finally making some progress in the right direction. :)

I used a 3:1 water to lye and added 6 tbsp of liquid after the cook. 2 with the clay, 2 with the yogurt and 2 with 35g of shea. It was 910g of oils for the batch, plus the 35 after cook.

Love the idea of bamboo skewers. I have lots of those. I have some stainless steal wire to wrap on the ends. Will give that a try. :)

Hmm that indeed sounds like it should be enough water;) good luck with the skewer, let us know how it goes!

2. AliOop
3. Pepsi Girl
7. szaza - count me in!
8. Nona'sFarm
12. neonstudy
13. amd
14. bookreader451 - I stink at hanger swirls so I can't wait for an advanced technique LOL
15. DKing - Things are a bit stressful and crazy here currently, but hopefully I will find an opportunity to try it.

I'm so bummed! I had time to make soap today so I started early over to my soaping room, Yeah! I love having all day , no hurry. Especially fancy soap like colors, swirls, challenge soaps! So I got everything measured and the lye water is cooling. The butters are on the burner melting down. And I get 4 cups out to make my colors, measured my fragrance. Even lined my mold and made sure the hanger fits! And bam! The electricity goes off! Noooo! So I carry everything over to the house and put the oils on the wood stove. And it all turned out ok , except I could get my powder dye colors to blend up with out the stick blender. I have a small battery blender but it just wasn't up for the job. But I couldn't stop now, Soooo it will be really interesting to see what unmolds tomorrow. It looks pretty weird right now! Oh well it's still soap! Hope I find another day to soap before the month is over.
The electricity came back on about 30 minutes after I put the soap to bed!

Good luck everyone!! I've tried this swirl for years, and can never get it right so I just don't try anymore. :( But it's going to be amazing to see all the entries. Can't wait...

2. AliOop
3. Pepsi Girl
7. szaza - count me in!
8. Nona'sFarm
12. neonstudy
13. amd
15. DKing - Things are a bit stressful and crazy here currently, but hopefully I will find an opportunity to try it.
16. Mommycarlson - I'll give it a swirl.... apologies if that has already been said

2. AliOop
3. Pepsi Girl
7. szaza - count me in!
8. Nona'sFarm
12. neonstudy
13. amd
16. Mommycarlson - I'll give it a swirl....apologies if that has already been said
17. StormyK - eeep!

2. AliOop
3. Pepsi Girl
7. szaza - count me in!
8. Nona'sFarm
12. neonstudy
13. amd
16. Mommycarlson - I'll give it a swirl....apologies if that has already been said
17. StormyK - eeep!
18. @Zing - this was on my list for 2020 and just got moved up to February!

Latest posts

Back