"Small Bottle" As Unit Of Measurement

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlchemyandAshes

Reaction score
While checking a "source" on line (a site mentioned on this forum), I came across a soap recipe that listed in it's recipe:
1 small bottle of Lavender Essential Oil
1 small bottle of Lemon Essential Oil
WHAT?!%*@ :-x
"Small bottle" is a unit of measurement? Small bottle meaning a dram? 15 ml? 1 oz?
DOH! :evil:

And this is why you should ALWAYS check the source of any soap (or body product) recipe you come across on the internet. She does mention that soap is a learned art and refers to Kathy Miller's site for more info. This person is not an experienced soaper, didn't know what trace was, had her sister who has made "a few batches" supervise the soap making and provide the recipe (not a very good one, I might add), and then puts out this recipe for others to use.
That would be like me posting an algebra tutorial...or blueprints for a house I designed...or diagnosing your car trouble...

ESSENTIAL OILS ARE NOT JUST FRAGRANCE AND MISUSING THEM CAN CAUSE HEALTH PROBLEMS!

I'm all for people sharing information on the internet (I love this forum! :wave:) ...and searching the internet for information...but just be careful of blindly following soap recipes you find...run them through a lye calculator, cross reference the oils and their properties...and use proper measurements!

You are right, the recipe is not accurate without an actual size for the 'small bottle'. Both lavender and lemon EOs are fairly benign, they do not accelerate or even discolor, but, if someone is making a small batch and considers 2 oz 'small' that would not be good. Lemon can be phototoxic, so a larger proportion of it might not be so good for some skins.

Latest posts

Back