SLS in your soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenneelk

Reaction score
Do any of you use this? I personally don't make anything with SLS for my 'natural' (yeah I know it's a loose term) products and wouldn't think to in my homemade soaps. My customers def. do not want anything with it and I understand why.

I'm just curious because I've seen 'Lush' mentioned on here and never had heard of them before (guess I live in a box with 4 kids) and checked out their stuff. They use SLS in their soaps which I don't understand. I know it gives more bubbles but it seems like an oxymoron for homemade soap to have it. :confused:

focus... topic is SLS :mrgreen:
I thought I was focusing, the OP asked about using SLS in soap.:-? If you have researched LUSH products you would have seen that most of their soap is M&P. No one that I know uses SLS in CP but it is used in M&P. Perhaps you have a recipe or idea that you can share with us.

For instance, here is the ingredient list for "Honey I Washed the Kids", do you consider this M&P or CP?

Honey Water (Aqua) , Propylene Glycol , Rapeseed Oil , Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; Cocos nucifera) , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Water (Aqua) , Sodium Stearate , Sodium Hydroxide , Fragrance , Beeswax (Cera alba) , Sweet Wild Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis) , Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia) , Aloe Vera Extract (Aloe barbadensis) , Sodium Chloride , Glycerine , EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides) , Titanium Dioxide , *Limonene , *Linalool , *Benzyl Benzoate

http://www.lushusa.com/Honey-I-Washed-The-Kids-Soap/00482,en_US,pd.html?start=2&cgid=soap

Last edited:
Lush has M&P Soap bases. They kinda look like CP because they add so much stuff to it like ~fresh fruits~ and ground nuts/shells. I don't like to use nor do I make any soaps with SLS or SLES simply because I'm allergic to that thing and my body starts to itch very badly.

Gosh I couldn't tell it was M&P with some of them. So many items can be added it seems with CP that I thought they just add a lot of extra 'stuff' to theirs.. hence the SLS. That 'mud flats' bar looked like CP to me. LOL

Even so.. didn't know SLS was used in M&P either but can understand it more than CP. :)

I've wondered for a while how Lush and others can cut from their display logs, or rounds - will it being essentially a mp base allow for that?

Back