slab mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I have a little 8x8x1 slab mold. I have used it around 4-5 times and have only not had alien brain 1x. I had one with alien brain that didn't gel to the ends. if I am using it for chunks for other soap the brains are do-able. but I would like to use it for some good soap. I put in on a heating pad with a wooden cutting board over it. and I watch it like a hawk. anybody got any ideas on how to get it to gel all the way without the brains?

Maybe just wrap the sides with a towel, but not the whole thing and take it off the heating pad.

soap gels from the inside out and the bigger the batch the easier it will go into gel, so what's happening is it's getting super hot in the middle due to all the extra help, but by the time it reaches the edges, the heat is done.

This is what I had to do when I worked with slab molds. I no longer use slab molds and only have 1 slab mold left out of the 5 I used to have. I just don't like working with them as much as I do with loafs. I get much more consistent results and prettier swirls in my loafs than I do in a slab.

Latest posts

Back