Simple lard free and palm free?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamansavon

Reaction score
I'm away on vacation looking after someone's house who would very much love some homemade soap.
I didn't realise this beforehand so I haven't got any of my oils with me.
Is there a simple recipe that doesn't use lard or palm oil that I could make for her?

Thank you for any suggestions

Olive
coconut
sunflower
trex
rice bran oil
BASIC TRINITY OF OILS Soap Starter Formula

Use a combo of olive, sunflower & RBO for the % of "Olive Oil"
Use the % given for the coconut oil
Use the Trex (If it is indeed "shortening") for the % of palm/lard

Use the default settings on SoapCalc
TEMPS: 120°-135°F

Just a Plain Jane Basic Formula that seems to suit almost everyone's skin. Give it a go to see how you like it and then tweak to your heart's content from there.🤤

BASIC TRINITY OF OILS Soap Starter Formula

Use a combo of olive, sunflower & RBO for the % of "Olive Oil"
Use the % given for the coconut oil
Use the Trex (If it is indeed "shortening") for the % of palm/lard

Use the default settings on SoapCalc
TEMPS: 120°-135°F

Just a Plain Jane Basic Formula that seems to suit almost everyone's skin. Give it a go to see how you like it and then tweak to your heart's content from there.🤤
Thank you so much for your help 🙂

If using Trex, you'll need to know the saponification value for it. Not all shortening formulas are the same - therefore the sap values will differ.

Can you get cocoa butter or shea butter?
Can you get 100% palm shortening in the baking section of your market? We have a brand here called Spectrum.

You could just a 100% olive oil soap; or 80/20 olive to coconut. If you can get cocoa or shea butter, reduce the 80 olive to 65% and put that 15% difference toward the cocoa/shea. Makes a nice soap.

Trex contains palm oil, so you can ditch that.

Can you get some cocoa butter from your supermarket? It's not cheap but it would provide some properties that would help. Online Food Shopping | Grocery Delivery | ASDA Groceries

15% cocoa (or cacao) butter
20% Coconut Oil
30% Olive Oil
20% Rice Bran Oil
15% Canola if you can get (Rapeseed) or use your sunflower
Avocado oil is nice if you have that - replace 5% of your canola/sunflower with that.

If using Trex, you'll need to know the saponification value for it. Not all shortening formulas are the same - therefore the sap values will differ.
:thumbs: Check the ingredients: The first item listed is the largest % and it goes down trom there to the last ingredient which is the lowest %. You can approximate the SAP from that info. I'm comfortable entering the first 3 ingredients into the calc to accomplish that, understanding that most SAP values tend to be approximations. Or you can contact the manufacturer for SAP value. Find the fat/oil from the list that has the identical SAP and use that for your formula. ;)
Trex contains palm oil, so you can ditch that.😁
To my mind, that doesn't matter. Since it is what you have on hand, and you're making soap for a friend, I would use Trex without reservation. Palm oil has beneficial qualities that contribute greatly to making soap with an elegant feel. I understand the ethical issues surrounding palm oil and even stopped using it for a while for that reason YEARS AGO, suppliers developed ethically-resourced palm oil and I am confident the issue is no longer relevant. But that's fodder for another thread.

HAPPY SOAPING! :nodding:

Latest posts

Back