Silly mistake with fo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenniferl

Reaction score
Just unmolded my pumpkin patch soap and was very happy with it. Scent lasted well.then I remembered I added this to my cart last minute for an extra fragrance without checking max amount. I used 3 percent , turns out max was0.28 i feel sad having to discard such nice soap.
Oh the joys of learning 😖

Attachments

• 11B72453-B03A-4E16-BAFA-56EEBE097E01.jpeg
    11B72453-B03A-4E16-BAFA-56EEBE097E01.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 19
.28%? Or 2.8%

if it’s the latter I’d keep it for personal use. If the former.... you could possibly rewatch with a plain scented soap but you’d loose the pretty design

Just unmolded my pumpkin patch soap and was very happy with it. Scent lasted well.then I remembered I added this to my cart last minute for an extra fragrance without checking max amount. I used 3 percent , turns out max was0.28 i feel sad having to discard such nice soap.
I would email the supplier and ask them if it's a typo. I had ordered a sample of a FO recently based on the reviews and when I was going to use it I realized the max was 0.30% so I emailed the vendor. She replied quickly that it was a typo, should be 3% and thanked me for bringing it to her attention. Even 3% is low but I'm looking forward to trying it out as it smells great OOB and the reviews are good.

I would email the supplier and ask them if it's a typo. I had ordered a sample of a FO recently based on the reviews and when I was going to use it I realized the max was 0.30% so I emailed the vendor. She replied quickly that it was a typo, should be 3% and thanked me for bringing it to her attention. Even 3% is low but I'm looking forward to trying it out as it smells great OOB and the reviews are good.
Thank you , I will do this before I discard. good luck with your fragrance:)

I agree, .28% is so low as to make the FO unusable because you’d never smell it. I am betting it’s 2.8% as well, and if so, your use of 3% is probably close enough to be safe, at least for personal use.

Your soap is pretty, so hopefully it works out. Let us know what you find out!

I've had that happen before with a spiced cranberry. The usage rate was so low, you'd never be able to smell it.
Turns out it wasn't skin safe and that little detail was buried in the description so I missed it. Bought 16 oz of it too.
Been using it for air freshener in the car.

Some vendors sell FO for candle making as well as for soap making. So the usage rate could actually be correct as listed. I might try it for my own personal use only, make a confetti soap with some of it, or put the bars in a drawer or closet or something. I wouldn't give it to anyone else to use.

Some vendors sell FO for candle making as well as for soap making. So the usage rate could actually be correct as listed. I might try it for my own personal use only, make a confetti soap with some of it, or put the bars in a drawer or closet or something. I wouldn't give it to anyone else to use.
It’s from NDA they also sell for Candles. I for sure won’t give any away.

Keep in mind when you use it in a shower you will be further diluting down the fragrance so it may very well not bother you. While I do respect usage guidelines I do not take them as written in stone, especially since I started making soap before we had IFRA usage rates, and it is a self-governing organization.
Sent an email to confirm the max usage rate. Maybe I’ll try a bar 6 months down the road.

I made a lovely batch of coffee soap, the fragrance morphed so much (went in smelling like burnt black coffee, came out chocolatey), that I decided to look it up to see the reviews. Right there in the description, "not skin safe". I tried it for myself, and it definitely wasn't skin safe. I had bought it for wax melts.

UPDATE: I heard back from NDA they confirmed the pumpkin patch in category 9 in only 0.28

I would not throw the soap out. I have done the same with a spiced apple FO, using 4% instead of 0.5%, forgot to check. For a handsoap (only for me) it was fine, and I actually liked it.
Of course I would not gift it to anyone, and only really used as a hand soap, but it was really fine.

I would not throw the soap out. I have done the same with a spiced apple FO, using 4% instead of 0.5%, forgot to check. For a handsoap (only for me) it was fine, and I actually liked it.
Of course I would not gift it to anyone, and only really used as a hand soap, but it was really fine.
Thank you , someone else suggested the same. I may use it myself it does smell quite good and I hate to throw it away. May place some in my front porch to make a nice fall scent. Haha

Latest posts

Back