Silky Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanieB

Reaction score
Being that I am new to the wonderous world of soaping I've been reading like a mad woman! I've heard alot about Tussah Silk and liquid silk and what a difference they can make. Does anyone have any info or suggestions where to get these. My local crafting stores are sadly deficiant on soap making supplies. Very Sad!

What about using silk from the fabric store that I heard some soapers have done?? I don't know if it would have to be white silk so there would be no dye but I've heard about adding about a square inch to lye water to dissolve it

Sorry to highjack this thread

I was just wondering if it helped with dryness feel of a soap?

I use fabric silk from JoAnn, just went asked for white (or no dye) smallest piece to cut, it last for long time. It gives soap that silky luxury feeling, just cut small piece, put in water and then mixed lye in it, since dissolves in the lye within 10-15 minutes. I usually cut about 1" square piece for 2-3 pounds of soap. Hope it helps :wink:

I don't think it adds much if any moisture to a soap. I don't know, I think just the silky feeling.

Thanks Yvonne. Glad to know it all dissolves and you don't have to fish a piece that didn't or shreds. It seems an economical way to go since liquid silk is kind of expensive.

You are welcome, to be honest there are litlle pieces can be when i start mixing with oils, but after working with blender they all disapear, you actually can cut silk even in smaller pieces before adding lye and it will easier disolve

Just be careful if there are still fibers present when you start stickblending, someone else tried that and the fibers wrapped around the blade and burned out the stick blender!

drealmo said:
Sorry to highjack this thread

I was just wondering if it helped with dryness feel of a soap?

I have never used it myself, but yes I have heard it adds a silky smooth feel to the soap. To help with dryness, play around in soapcalc and take your cleansing numbers down and the conditioning numbers up.

I second what Yvonne said. I have been using silk fibers in all of my soap. The silk protein that is derived does give the soap a more slick feel, and I feel it adds a touch of nourishment for the skin. I have had really good results. I always cut my fibers into very small pieces and add them to my water before I add the lye. I make sure the fibers have dissolved before mixing, because I too have had them wrap around my SB. Good luck, and happy soaping :)

Tank

Love the feel of silk in my soap and agree think it contributes to a slip feel rather than a moisturising feel. I buy mine from Scent Works but be warned going to their site could lead to a very big dent in your bank account as they have some amazing oils :D

I bought my silk off E-Bay and it is just the fiber. I've not tried using silk cloth because I have always just used the fiber. I think the powder or liquid would be way pricey in soap :shock: I use them in lotions, creams and hair conditioners.

Latest posts

Back