silicone pans

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Reaction score
I hope this is the place for me to ask this question as I see nowhere to post this. I just recieved in the mail two new silicone molds to use for my CP soap. As I was opening the packaging the knife went through the outer edge of the pan on the rim. I don't think it will effect the functionality of the mold being it's only the rim but it's unsightly not to mention brand new. Is there anyway to fix this ? I was thinking silicone gasket "glue" like what thy use in the hvac world to seal high temp pipe may work but I'm not 100% sure about that either. any help is greatly apreciated.

The gasket glue should work if it's 100% silicone. This is probably the same thing as you're talking about, but you might also use the kind of silicone they sell at Walmart to seal windows and stuff. They have tubes that require a caulking gun and smaller tubes that do not require a caulking gun. Again, I would only use the 100% silicone. Well, actually, I wouldn't use anything if it's only cosmetic :) but we're all different.

The gasket glue should work if it's 100% silicone. This is probably the same thing as you're talking about, but you might also use the kind of silicone they sell at Walmart to seal windows and stuff. They have tubes that require a caulking gun and smaller tubes that do not require a caulking gun. Again, I would only use the 100% silicone. Well, actually, I wouldn't use anything if it's only cosmetic :) but we're all different.

I agree 100 % about not repairing for aestetics alone but my only fear is that the rim reinforces the bar shape and I'm afraid that after I pour the mold the buldging from the soap will allow the soap to overflow the mold itself. I think I'm going to do a batch on Thursday or Friday and I'm going to loaf the majority of it and cut to size and I'll try the mini loaf where the torn rim is and see how it goes before I waste money on sealant. Seriously the mold cost me $9 on Amazon it'll probably be cheaper to just buy another one.

Just an update I made a batch over the weekend and though I mainly loaf I made a bit too much so I took the new mold out and used it and to my suprise and delight the tear is only cosmetic and did not effect the soap at all and did not deform or otherwise hurt anything. therefore I just trimmed off the rim and in my rotation this mold will be as is.

yeah i was pretty happy about this !!! I need to make a mold as well. As I am new to soap making I used a silicone loaf pan as well as this torn mold. The loaf mold ended up looking like a brick of gold so to speak in it's dimensions. I am sure the soap came out great but not crazy about the shape. I'm sure there is probably a box building thread somewhere.

Latest posts

Back