Silicone loaf molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lperdue

Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble gelling soaps in silicone molds? It seems that if i gel I get bubbles on the sides as if soap was practically boiling. It only does it in silicone loaf molds.

I only use silicone loaf molds and always gel without incident (usually just using several towels overnight). Do you have a photo of the issue? Do the bubbles burst like they're boiling? Is it overheating? Or are they air bubbles?

It sounds like you are getting silicone rash. Are you forcing gel in the oven? If so, what are your temps and how long are you leaving your soap in there?

I only use silicone loaf molds and always gel without incident (usually just using several towels overnight). Do you have a photo of the issue? Do the bubbles burst like they're boiling? Is it overheating? Or are they air bubbles?
It is mainly on the sides and bottoms. These were worst but i shaved some off
It sounds like you are getting silicone rash. Are you forcing gel in the oven? If so, what are your temps and how long are you leaving your soap in there?
I was forcing gel. Before I started using a roasting oven i was using a box and a seedling heating mat and occasionally the neighbors oven at 170 for about 30 minutes. I have a feeling my fragrance oils do it to some of my soaps. Not sure about the temps with the mat. I gelled my patchouli soap without issue except ash but these fragrances i assume are helping it rash. They had vanilla in them. Using the roaster i am able to control my temp wayy better. Tonight I have a batch I put in there cover with cling wrap at around 130-140 for 45 minutes then shut it off and leaving it over night. We will see what happens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 33
I’ve never had vanilla in FOs be an issue, but I’m not saying the fragrances you are using might not be a contributing factor. Silicone rash is the result of too high temperatures for too long of a time. I’d like to know how it worked in the toaster oven.

No problem! I’m doing the un-challenge for soap that looks like flames. I did not scent this loaf though because I want my colors to stay true. So when I take it out to cut I will take a photo of it first. I use a roaster bc well i have a family member that is super fragrance sensitive so i can’t use the oven in the house and it was a cheap alternative and my molds fit nicely. The temp goes really low. I once tried a toaster convection oven but it made my top crusty and ashy. Its cooler here now so If i just let my soaps gel on their own they never gel all the way

I’ve never had vanilla in FOs be an issue, but I’m not saying the fragrances you are using might not be a contributing factor. Silicone rash is the result of too high temperatures for too long of a time. I’d like to know how it worked in the toaster oven.
Another note...i noticed with some of my fragrances and activated charcoal for color, if it doesn't gel it turns green and its so hard to fix

Does anyone else have trouble gelling soaps in silicone molds? It seems that if i gel I get bubbles on the sides as if soap was practically boiling. It only does it in silicone loaf molds.
If I force gel in my individual silicone molds I get bubbly marks on the sides and base of my soaps. I think I read somewhere that it is from the water coming out of the soap from the heat before it has hardened enough to keep its shape. The trick is to let it sit for a while (try half an hour) to let it set up properly before you put it in the oven.

If I force gel in my individual silicone molds I get bubbly marks on the sides and base of my soaps. I think I read somewhere that it is from the water coming out of the soap from the heat before it has hardened enough to keep its shape. The trick is to let it sit for a while (try half an hour) to let it set up properly before you put it in the oven.
Ahhh! That makes sense! I’ll try that next time. The soap I just made and gelled I have not taken out of the mold or uncovered. I really really REALLY want to avoid ash and I pray there is no rash

So here is the results of the roaster forced gel. I think a lot of this is air bubbles from my stick blender too. However no ash on top. Getting ready to cut! Will post em in the flame challenge!

Attachments

• 0FEA161B-7230-4145-96E1-EA224397E25D.jpeg
    0FEA161B-7230-4145-96E1-EA224397E25D.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 222AE93E-B2DC-4BDA-BD3C-16BD93955F4D.jpeg
    222AE93E-B2DC-4BDA-BD3C-16BD93955F4D.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 0CA6138C-56EA-48BC-8B8C-56EE688C32D2.jpeg
    0CA6138C-56EA-48BC-8B8C-56EE688C32D2.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 17
Another note...i noticed with some of my fragrances and activated charcoal for color, if it doesn't gel it turns green and its so hard to fix
The green is probably because the fragrance turns yellow and you haven't used enough AC. You would have to use enough AC to cover up the discoloration. Black iron oxide can also be used to punch up the black.

Do you do a water discount? If not, you may have too much water in your soap. Excess water makes your soap heat up quicker and stay hot longer - which could possibly give you that look.

Back