Silcone Loaf Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikindred

Reaction score
I have been using the 18 bar divided mold from Mr. Do Right and I absolutely love it. Lately, I have been wanting to make smaller batches for home and testing but have a few questions. When using these loaf molds, how do you get the tops to be flat and smooth? I often see people do those "mountain" tops but I would prefer a smooth top. Also, I think I would have to invest in a cutter since I can't cut a straight line to save my life. I saw the For Craft's Sake they had a nice reasonable hobby cutter, anyone try this yet?

Any information you can provide would be helpful. I am thinking of switching after the holiday season.

thanks

If you pour at a thinner trace, you can get a smoother top because the soap batter is more fluid. Then, if needed, you can use a veggie peeler or planer to clean it up.

I intentionally overfill my loaf molds slightly, then use one side of my tank to cut the top off of each bar. I then take those trimmings and cut them up and put them in organza bags as samples. Easy peasy

Soapsugoii said:
I intentionally overfill my loaf molds slightly, then use one side of my tank to cut the top off of each bar. I then take those trimmings and cut them up and put them in organza bags as samples. Easy peasy

That's a great idea! :idea:
I usually make a few more ounces of soap than I need to fill my loaf molds, and pour the extra into a Wilton Mini-Brownie silicone pan, so I get 1.5" square sample soaps.

I normally pour off a little of my soap prior to putting it in the mold in my brownie mold also for samples....love those little brown bite soaps!

Back