Shocking!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eleraine

Reaction score
My friends back in Malaysia just told me that the soapmaking class they attended did the following:

1) No gloves, apron, goggles or any safety equipment
2) Pour water into lye (WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) - The guy said that he had been doing it for ages and it's okay.
3) Aluminium cake pans as molds - WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I'm new to this whole soapmaking thing but even then, I don't fool around with safety. Can't understand why this guy would not just put his safety at risk but the safety of others as well!

(Btw, the soap they got from the class - my friend tossed hers coz it was just awful - and the others, when they unmoulded it, they reported getting cracks on the top and side. Eeks.)

I was reading a book on making your own 'green' cleaners, lotions & other stuff yesterday. The author wrote about making soap. Her instructions were brief & told the reader to pour the water over the lye & that it would spit & boil.

She got her information from a very old book where lye was obtained from wood ash without doing her own research on modern lyes.

It annoys me to the point that I am thinking of sending her a helpful 'hint' in case she wants to write another book.

Well, if it works for them, who are we to question it ?

Anybody got burned ?

Also curious - what do they use to mix the soap ? A blender or do they mix manually ?

2) Pour water into lye (WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) - The guy said that he had been doing it for ages and it's okay.
From what I have experimented, it can be done, if you can pour quickly and completely drench the lye in water before it has time to splash.

3) Aluminium cake pans as molds - WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Happened to me once, by mistake. Worked out relatively fine.

What I don't understand, is how are they able to remove the soap from the mold, without it sticking. Maybe they grease it or something - that could prevent the lye from contacting the aluminum.

Fragola said:

It doesn't exactly look to me that it is working for them:

eleraine said:
(Btw, the soap they got from the class - my friend tossed hers coz it was just awful - and the others, when they unmoulded it, they reported getting cracks on the top and side. Eeks.)

IrishLass :)

Fragola said:

Anybody got burned ?
seriously?
who? cannot speak for you, of course, but as for us - we're responsible people, that's who.

From the pictures, they used whisks to do the stirring.

No one got burned...yet.

I don't think it's working for them. They made a 3 oil soap - coconut, palm and olive - and my friend said that on top of the cracking, the red rice powder which was the additive was only on the top instead of evenly distributed throughout the soap. :x Don't think they had an easy time unmoulding either.

who? cannot speak for you, of course, but as for us - we're responsible people, that's who.

Personally, I'm more bothered about the Kitten Love attitude, like we should send somebody to beat them with a stick into doing the right thing.

Fragola said:

Personally, I'm more bothered about the Kitten Love attitude, like we should send somebody to beat them with a stick into doing the right thing.

Absolutely! Let's take up a collection to send eleraine to Malaysia so she can beat the teacher with a stick until he learns how to make soap the safest way which is the right thing to do. :!:

Gosh darn it! My dander is up now! Let's all go to Malaysia and beat him with a stick! I'll meet you all at the airport. I'll be the one holding a big stick. :D

Ahaha. Hazel, you're too funny.

Why is it Fragola, that whenever a thread comes up to do with a safety issue, you come on with your devil may care, try it and see, what is the harm anyway spiel? It seems like the majority of your posts are oppositional. If we were talking opinions here then you would certainly be welcome to yours. But the forum's stance on safety isn't an opinion, it isn't up for debate and when it comes right down to it, this is not a democracy. And for all the good info available here and elsewhere regarding safe soapmaking, it seems that you have a lot of experience with the wrong way to do things.

PrairieCraft said:
Ahaha. Hazel, you're too funny.

Why is it Fragola, that whenever a thread comes up to do with a safety issue, you come on with your devil may care, try it and see, what is the harm anyway spiel? It seems like the majority of your posts are oppositional. If we were talking opinions here then you would certainly be welcome to yours. But the forum's stance on safety isn't an opinion, it isn't up for debate and when it comes right down to it, this is not a democracy. And for all the good info available here and elsewhere regarding safe soapmaking, it seems that you have a lot of experience with the wrong way to do things.

I love you.

Nah, I don't want to beat him into doing things the right way. I am just shocked that he would hold a class and teach other people who are new to soapmaking such methods. Hence the Kitten Love mode.

Am not going to waste an air ticket just to beat him into doing things the right way. Would rather go on a foodie spree. :p

By, no pouring water all at one go into lye. He does it slowlyyyyyy. :(

This forum has helped me to see the light. I admit I am a foolish person who does not wear safety glasses. I have regular glasses and haven't always worn them. After the last post on this (cant remember who started it) I decided I was being an idiot, or just plain stupid. I received my tax refund and am purchasing a nice pair of goggles from Bramble Berry. I have always been exceedingly careful, but really, accidents happen. I would never tell or teach anyone how to make soap without the necessary precautions! Do as I say, not as I do!!!

whenever a thread comes up to do with a safety issue, you come on with your devil may care, try it and see, what is the harm anyway spiel?

I would never tell people to perform an unsafe action (if I ever did so, it was either by mistake or misunderstanding). And it certainly isn't a habit, like you seem to imply.

On this topic:

1. I was expressing disapproval towards what I see as unconstructive criticism (or at least a case where the emphasis is more on criticism rather than on "constructive"). I saw nobody here asking safety help or support either for themselves or for others.

My feelings aren't specifically related to this thread, bur rather something I accumulated from similar threads on this and other forums. And also the news (including TV). As a matter of fact, I did react with oppositional behavior against what I perceived to be oppositional behavior.

At this point, I must apologize to eleraine for venting my oppositional attitude in this thread. This is certainly not personal. It was just a little thingy that triggered a fuse inside my brain.

2. I tried to come up with some factual explanations. For example to explain how it was possible for these people to pour water into lye and still not get burned. By the way, a very tall container might be another explanation.

It seems like the majority of your posts are oppositional.
I'm pretty sure this is not the case, but feel free to prove me wrong.

In most of my posts I try to offer some information or suggestion which I believe to be helpful.

Probably less than 1-2% of my thread contributions are meant as "oppositional", and possibly another 2-3%, may came out as such, against my intent.

But they do tend to be lengthier posts and they may make a stronger impression.

If we were talking opinions here then you would certainly be welcome to yours. But the forum's stance on safety isn't an opinion, it isn't up for debate and when it comes right down to it, this is not a democracy.
This thread didn't looked to me like it was meant to evolve into a valuable safety resource (I mean, before my post for which reason I didn't approach it as a safety discussion).

If I am mistaken about the purpose of this discussion, please allow me to correct myself by adding:

1. Lye (in solid form, liquid form, as dust or vapors) is dangerous and it will burn your skin/eyes / lungs if inhaled / internal organs if ingested.

2. Always wear proper safety equipment (goggles, long sleeves and pants, apron, facial mask, etc.) and check to make sure you have no exposed skin that could come in contact with lye splashes/spills.

3. For handling lye, only use safe tools and containers, made from non reactive metals /materials (detailed information can be researched somewhere else on the forum). Aluminum isn't a good choice and neither is glass, since it may break, certain plastics are safe, but only up to a certain temperature.

4. Dissolve the lye in a well-ventilated area or outside, since the fumes which form are toxic.

5. Mixing lye with water produces a lot of heat. Always pour lye into the water and not the other way around. Never bring lye in close contact with heat/fire or heat the lye solution on the stove.

6. Do not work with lye near children or pets or adults which do not fully understand the safety implications.

7. Make sure you clean up properly your soaping area, since lye remains dangerous even after you have finished soaping.

8. Don't get distracted when working with lye.

it seems that you have a lot of experience with the wrong way to do things.

1. Far beyond the scope of this discussion and as a matter of personal belief, I don't believe in wrong. I believe there are different actions with different consequences. Which we may like or dislike.

2. But I do like to try new things, however I put a lot of work into research and when safety is concerned, I do take extra precautions.

On that topic, I like to work with the lye solution in the sink and not on the tabletop. Or outside, in which case I still put the lye container into another huge one.

Also, I sometimes use a second layer of protection which can be helpful if your first defense fails (such as glove breakage or if the soap batter finds another way to touch your skin). It's should not be viewed as fool proof, but it does help - a layer of oil applied onto the skin.

By, no pouring water all at one go into lye. He does it slowlyyyyyy. Sad
The way I understand it, lye is most dangerous when touched by a tiny amount of water. The heat will cause the water to boil violently and splash all over the place.

A lot of water will absorb all this heat and stay below the boiling point, without too much splashing. Of course, pouring the whole jug of water at once also may cause splashes because you pour too much water with too much force (unrelated to the fact that you have or not lye in there).

So again, I have not and am not recommending this method, just describing what I've seen happening. It is risky and there is no good reason to take this risk.

It's okay Fragola! No need to apologise. It's good to have a debate sometimes although at times I tell myself that while I'm cool with looking at debates, opposing views, sometimes other people may take things a little too personal. I, on the other hand, find it amusing. Don't know if it's a cause for concern or... :?

I did share with my friends to always check with the provider of the class on what safety measures they have in place, etc, before signing up. Felt sorry for the ones who did sign up and went through all this - I did tell them before signing up to make sure that the person at least provides some form of safety equipment. O'well...

Fragola said:
1. Far beyond the scope of this discussion and as a matter of personal belief, I don't believe in wrong. I believe there are different actions with different consequences. Which we may like or dislike.
and there in lies the problem. you don't believe in wrong - you promote a devil may care attitude when it comes to safety, despite what you now say you said.

and no, we aren't going to waste our time digging around in the forum looking for proof, most of which we've deleted piece-meal as you've posted it in our efforts to keep new soapers safe.

nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back